Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tracking should be via steering the phased array electronically. However, there is no reason it could not also reposition physically to point at a section of sky with better coverage.

That's true - but I wonder if that would put it into some kind of maintenance mode and interrupt the link. I'm not sure how smooth the antenna motors are, or how slowly they can move.

I think of it like a CD player sled, electronic is orders of magnitude faster than physical and shouldn't have an issue maintaining the link.

Certainly. I'm just not familiar with how the array tracking works. Are they literally hunting constantly and correcting or do they have a logic about them that says "the satellite you are tracking has X trajectory - prepare to follow that" ?

I'm somewhat familiar with how VSAT antenna gimbals on ships track satellites. Those are for sure in constant hunt mode where they do a sort of wobble around a good signal. If they determine they're veering off good signal they'll wobble more until they find good signal again and then tighten back up. Because the platform they're on, a boat, is absolutely constantly moving even when tied to a dock this is the required logic. But Starlink antennas are, thus far, expecting to be pretty well stationary and the target they're watching has a very predictable path.

Certainly. I'm just not familiar with how the array tracking works. Are they literally hunting constantly and correcting or do they have a logic about them that says "the satellite you are tracking has X trajectory - prepare to follow that" ?

I'm somewhat familiar with how VSAT antenna gimbals on ships track satellites. Those are for sure in constant hunt mode where they do a sort of wobble around a good signal. If they determine they're veering off good signal they'll wobble more until they find good signal again and then tighten back up. Because the platform they're on, a boat, is absolutely constantly moving even when tied to a dock this is the required logic. But Starlink antennas are, thus far, expecting to be pretty well stationary and the target they're watching has a very predictable path.
I expect there is an expected position/ track used along with local placement for gross positioning. With the wideish beam, they theoretically can bounce +/- X degrees in elevation and azimuth and use the strongest signal as the new aim point.

Reactions: LoudMusic