Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Start Charging Disabled for Several Minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plugged in at a J-1772 destination charger and got the display "Charging Stopped." Every other time I've done this it's started charging immediately. I reseated the connector and adaptor, no change, tried a soft reboot, no change. There was plenty of room on the limit. Eventually I left it plugged in and came back 20 minutes later to find it had started charging at a normal rate some time in the interim.

Is it that it needed to heat/cool the battery? It would have been nice if it had said so. Ambient temperature was 80F and I'd driven 30 minutes to get there. I've done exactly that trip and that charger before and it started charging immediately, albeit at lower ambient.

It had upgraded to 2019.20.4.2 right before this, however, so I'm wondering about that. At the very least it was missing some explanation. There was a Start Charging button on the display but it was grayed out and pressing it had no effect.