Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starving Drivers in Formula One Sparks a Quiet (?) Debate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BBC interview with Gene Haas:

Asked about drivers, he mentioned Americans Tony Stewart and Danica Patrick."We'd love to have Tony Stewart in the car," he said. "He can tell you so much about what the car is doing. He drove Lewis Hamilton's car at Watkins Glen and within a few laps he had it somewhat figured out.
"We'd love to have Danica in an F1 car, but there's a lot of issues there too. She would be a great American driver in an American F1 car. It would just be an awesome combination."

Wow, opposite ends of the scale; Stewart isn't tall but he weighs in at a stocky 82kg. Maybe Haas isn't worried about driver weight?

Can anyone explain what happened to the two Mercs with the reduced power halfway through today's race? The commentators were attributing that to the "electronic" part of the drivetrain and not the turbo. Kinda' like the power limit on a hot Model S powertrain on track?!

And, oh, Ricciardo must have lost some weight for Montreal ;)

Can anyone explain what happened to the two Mercs with the reduced power halfway through today's race?

MGU-K failure. In simple terms it's regen braking but also acts as a motor under acceleration; the failure meant no energy was being generated so also a loss of power going back to the wheels. The knock on effect was that the actual brakes had to take over all the work of slowing the cars, HAM's car had greater rear brake bias and that led to his brake failure whereas ROS could nurse his car home.

Nothing to do with the drivers weight.

Taunting the drivers:
20070415-Formula-1_Chocolate_Car_2.jpg

110971,xcitefun-t096rbehgv1qpw1kgt94.jpg

Nico stuck his nose where it did not belong (not along side enough ala Alonso to pull off the move) but normally it is the opposite of bikes in that the guy in the front normally gets the short end of the stick when it comes to cars (flat tire or loosened up enough that they can not put down the power).

I like Lewis but it seems karma is a bitch on this one.

Nico did out qualify Lewis in the rain for a change :)

This was the amusingly appropriate headline I saw: Mercedes weigh up how to punish Nico Rosberg following Lewis Hamilton collision

Executive director, Toto Wolff, has already given a clear indication that Rosberg will be disciplined for the incident that eventually forced Hamilton to retire from the race. Both Wolff and Mercedes non-executive chairman Niki Lauda placed the blame for the collision firmly on Rosberg,....

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what he will do to reign them in.

From that same Independent article:

The Briton [Hamilton] has already been scornful of the lack of sanction for Rosberg in that meeting, saying: “It reminds me of being at school… teachers will talk but they don’t do anything. You just get a detention. They won’t even do that.”
When told of that, Wolff responded: “If Lewis said there’s going to be a slap on the wrist and no consequence then he’s not aware of what consequences we can implement. We can do a lot. Today we have seen the limits of the slap on the wrist. Maybe the slap on the wrist isn’t enough.”

(my bold)