Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering applied offset direction question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put my OEM suspension back on the car for winter and aligned. Does this screen tell me the steering wheel is 2.4 degrees to the right compared to front wheels, or does it tell me the steering wheel is 2.4 degrees left compared to the front wheels so the car has applied a correction 2.4 degrees to the right?

I think I know the answer but would like to confirm.
IMG_1617.jpeg

I'm pretty certain that if you need to turn your steering CCW to go straight it'd show a negative value.
Cannot confirm with a pic right now, but will check after the next time I drive it. My steering is off center by about 1.5 degrees CCW right now.

It's saying that when you take your hands off the wheel, it turns the wheel 2.4 degrees clockwise for you in order to get the car to go straight down the road.

You would want to shorten the driver tie rod and lengthen the passenger side to fix this.

To prove this to yourself, you can drive the car in service mode. Find a straight road. Put the wheel at zero degrees according to the image on the right. You'll see that the car pulls to the left with the wheel perfectly straight.