Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering/suspension squeaks and groans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 S85 (60K miles, air suspension) has just developed loud squeaks and groans from the front suspension/steering area. Every little bump produces an audible squeak even with the windows closed. When stationary, just a very small steering movement produces the same squeak/groan. Jack up one side in Jack mode and there is no sound when moving the steering wheel. Ride height makes no difference. No sign of cracks in the suspension arms. Seems maybe more like the steering rack than suspension. It's had the steering bolt mod. Any suggestions? Is it serious or just annoying? It's rather inconvenient to book it in at the moment and trying to have a sensible conversation with a real person in Tesla maintenance is now impossible.

Not at all. 155 lbs. It started quite recently and seems to be there all the time, whenever there is a bumpo or the steering wheel is turned. The air suspension compensates for weight and raising and lowering it doesn't make it squeak.

I put the front up on my ramps yesterday and can't see anything broken or cracked in the suspension. The steering rack seems secure but it was difficult to get a hand on it without removing the under-pan. Once it was on the ramps there was insufficient resistance to turning the steering to produce the noise. It would need a full car lift to get a good look at it.