Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"New" 19 MX making crackling noises from suspension/steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I recently bought a 2019 MX p100d from Tesla and noticed the other day when I tried driving it with the very low suspension setting that it make a crackling noise from both sides of the front of the car.

I had a VW once that made sounds like this when the steering rack died.

It seems to be getting worse. Now I'm hearing creaking around almost every corner regardless of suspension height and if the car is stationary and I turn side to side it's pretty loud.

Is this a common thing for MXs?

I took my car in this morning and after the tech checked out the noise that even sounds just by getting in and turning the steering wheel a tiny bit
... they dropped the $188 diagnosis fee after not even needing a test drive. I was happy about that.
I'll inject grease if the sound shows up again after the 1 yr/10K miles. The first set lasted 87K miles and 5 yrs.

u8BHKND.jpg
Aside: I had squeaking fixed on my X last week where I had done the research about the upper control arms ... upon arriving they checked me in and had a tech talked to me and was going to take it for a ride with me. Moving the steering wheel was enough to hear/evaluate it. The tech did me a solid and removed the diagnostic fee (~$180). My experience was great and they treated me well. The upper control arm was common enough that they replaced them for cost @ about $95 each or so.

Red arrows within circles take you to the threads those were in.

Reactions: byoono