Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Off Center After New Tires and Alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a new set of tires on my P85D.

When I dropped off the car I told the technician multiple times that I want them to make sure the steering wheel is perfectly centered with the alignment. I told them that I wanted to make sure they test drove the car to make sure it's right.

Well...sure enough, I pick up the car and it's off. Although the car tracks straight...if I hold the wheel dead straight the car goes right. It's off by about an inch or so.

Why is this so hard to get right? Randomly I just went through the same issue with my other car...it took that dealer 3 times to get it right.

So now I'm taking the P85D back on Monday to have them try again...What am I missing? Such a pain to have to go back to the dealer again for this.

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
Why is this so hard to get right?
I have done my own alignment on a Miata and a Volvo S60, and on those cars you have to physically restrain the steering wheel while you adjust the tires or else the wheel moves when you change the linkages. I don't know if Tesla is the same (maybe it is "fly by wire"), but I think a lot of places don't bother to fasten the steering wheel down before they start

Giving the alignment guy the benefit of the doubt here...

Check your tires for wear and pressure, they can cause the car to pull. Only check the pull on a road with no crown, i.e. the road is not designed to drain to the side. Finding a flat road can be tough, but most 4 lane freeways will be flat in the second lane from the left (US driver here).

Be sure he is aligning the car at the height you are testing at.