Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sticky Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DanDi58

Jun 22, 2020
Dayton NJ
Recently, my car's trunk will never open on the first try, either using the screen or the handle. It always happens the first time I try to open it during the day, which led me to believe that perhaps it is sticking to the seal. But it will also doing it at other times the same day, when I've already used it. The latch will release and it will pop up a bit then when I hit the screen or handle again, it closes. Then it opens fine. I'm wondering if there is some sort of lubricant needed? I guess I can always place a service call but can guarantee it will open fine for the tech.... ;)

Reactions: mlkmade
I went out to do some errands and the trunk would not open at all, just the little pop up, and I could not open it manually - so I am thinking its the latch. I got home and decided to record a video to send in with my service request. Of course, it opened right up multiple times. But I think I've determined it's the latch, not sticking to the seal or anything.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezla041
Recently, my car's trunk will never open on the first try, either using the screen or the handle. It always happens the first time I try to open it during the day, which led me to believe that perhaps it is sticking to the seal. But it will also doing it at other times the same day, when I've already used it. The latch will release and it will pop up a bit then when I hit the screen or handle again, it closes. Then it opens fine. I'm wondering if there is some sort of lubricant needed? I guess I can always place a service call but can guarantee it will open fine for the tech.... ;)
This has been happening to me for awhile. Finally took it into service and they replaced the power strut, they said it was failing?