Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk latch won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

In my 2019 Fremont built M3, the trunk latch won't open anymore. Not when using the app, nor the screen, nor the button on the trunk. No response or mechanical sound whatsoever. So my guess was the opening mechanism thing is dead and I ordered a new one as this was an easy replacement. But that replacement isn't working either (by a freak coincident, could they both malfunction?).

Before I bring it to the garage to have it fixed by a professional, I want to post this here, to see if anyone has an idea how to trace the problem to its cause and give it one more go. Can I for example use the frunk's connecting wire-plug to find out it the latch mechanism works (I'm not sure if the plug is the same)? Any other ideas?

Sorry if this is no help to you, but I just got mine repaired for a similar issue. My issue is similar because my trunk failed in the same ways you are describing, but I had the Tesla Retrofit Trunk Kit installed. I'm attributing my issues to this, but it's hard to say. Given that you have a 2019, we probably have the same trunk hardware, so you likely do not have a "powered liftgate ECU."

Technician found the powered liftgate ECU faulted not allowing the powered liftgate to cinch/read that the vehicles liftgate was open. Technician has verified that the vehicle works as expected now. Parts Replaced or Added - Powertrunk Retrofit Kit (1712460-00-A)

I’m having the same problem all of a sudden with my 2020 M3P. Trunk won’t open using screen nor with the trunk lid button. I usually have to “turn off” the car using the lock icon on my phone app and then unlock it again, at which point the vehicle screen icon will release the latch. I think it’s a software glitch.

Thanks for the reply both! Unfortunately I don't have apowered liftgate, so I guess it's a slightly different issue
I’m having the same problem all of a sudden with my 2020 M3P. Trunk won’t open using screen nor with the trunk lid button. I usually have to “turn off” the car using the lock icon on my phone app and then unlock it again, at which point the vehicle screen icon will release the latch. I think it’s a software glitch
I also tried this, but to no avail. Then reset the car using the "Power Off" button at the bottom of the software/security/something menu. But that didn't work either. :(

I guess I have to take it to the garage.