Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still no license plates, 10 days left on temporary plates CA. Is this normal or going this slow for anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All my other dealer purchases have been 6 weeks max. The temporary 90 day plays I got on the car expire in 10 days now so I am starting to question why I haven’t gotten my permanent plates. Anyone else in CA having it take forever to get their plates lately?

I've seen reports of the same from other CA owners. Call the CA DMV and your Tesla delivery center, find out if Tesla never sent the paperwork or if it's held up in the DMV or maybe lost in the mail. This won't be solved on the forums!

I believe CA DMV offices have license plates in stock and can issue them immediately in person, *if* the car is properly registered.

Reactions: pkeller001
My car was delivered Feb 1st and my plates came in the mail on March 2nd. I would call the Tesla location where you picked up and ask for a copy of the REG 397 Title Application. I needed to get a copy of mine in order to submit my CVRP application. You can probably also confirm that they sent it in.

Also I'm not sure if this matters or not, but when I received my license plates, the return address on the package was Tesla headquarters...so does that mean Tesla has plate inventory and is registering and sending out plates on behalf of the DMV?

My car was delivered Feb 1st and my plates came in the mail on March 2nd. I would call the Tesla location where you picked up and ask for a copy of the REG 397 Title Application. I needed to get a copy of mine in order to submit my CVRP application. You can probably also confirm that they sent it in.

Also I'm not sure if this matters or not, but when I received my license plates, the return address on the package was Tesla headquarters...so does that mean Tesla has plate inventory and is registering and sending out plates on behalf of the DMV?
I'm not sure if the plates initially pass through Tesla's hands, but If USPS can't deliver your plates they get sent back to Tesla, who probably won't tell you until you call and ask what happened.

I can't speak to Tesla specifically, but I leased a Niro EV from So Cal dealer on 1/29/22. I received the CA metal plates at least a week ago.

In checking my old USPS informed delivery emails, I see one a package (so no pic) on 3/2 from MOTOR VEHICLE SOFTWARE CORP. That's probably about right.

All my other dealer purchases have been 6 weeks max. The temporary 90 day plays I got on the car expire in 10 days now so I am starting to question why I haven’t gotten my permanent plates. Anyone else in CA having it take forever to get their plates lately?
Yes, as said above contact the DMV and Tesla. If you haven't already contact the DMV first (you can use the Chat feature, just type Agent and your inquiry). My plates didn't show up until I confirmed with the DMV they were pending Tesla to provide some requested documents. I called Tesla and spoke with the "delivery" center for the location I picked up from. Told them what the DMV said (they requested additional documents about 45 days earlier). Received a text 3 days later that the DMV should not have everything and I should be all set. Plates showed up about a week later. I got my plates about a week before the temps expired.