Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop Alert Overfiring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still new to my MYLR and learning on every drive. One persistent issue I'm having is after stopping behind another vehicle at a stop light/sign, the screen will display the distance I am from the other vehicle (e.g., 24") and display a rough squiggly outline of the other vehicles footprint (at least I think that's what it is). When this vehicle then moves forward after stopping, I get a Stop warning every time because I have "crashed" into the squiggly line that was created despite the car being well in front of me.

Have other people experienced this? Are there any settings I can tinker with or is this a known issue or something my MYLR will "learn" over time. Thanks!

Our Y seems to be getting better with age, or maybe SW updates. When we first parked in our garage, it would display us being about a foot into a box we have in there. It now shows us being within a few inches of the actual distance away.

Reactions: rolling green
Thanks for these responses. I will try stopping further behind the vehicle in front and see if that helps.

I think what's confusing to me is that the squiggly line representing the vehicle in front of me seems to stay in place longer than the actual vehicle so when I move forward, I'm "crashing" into the squiggly line that's no longer accurate as the vehicle it represented has driven away.

Last edited:
Wow. You all must drive/stop really close to the vehicle ahead if this is happening to you. I've never seen this in the almost 3 years I've had my Model Y. I only see this when parallel parking or when pulling up to a wall for parking. Do they not teach the stopping distance rule any more? Stop when you can just barely see the tires of the car in front of you touching the road.

Maybe it's an issue with cars without the ultrasonic sensors?