Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopped charging with 3rd party level 2 charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, first post on this site - former M3 SR+, current MY LR owner.

I have an existing L2 charger from GE which I owned prior to owning Teslas. Suddenly after 4 months of charging my MY, it stopped after a minute and said communication error. Plug and unplugged it a few times and it would charge. Then it stopped altogether. Tesla obviously changed the software and when I talk to support they won't tell me anything other than they do not know anything about 3rd party and then hung up.

Anyone else have similar issue?

Do you have a way to test another EV on the station? Do you have a level 2 station you can test your Tesla at? Doing both can help determine if it's a car or station side issue. You can find them using plugshare or for Tesla destination the Tesla app or the below link:

They are right that they can't really help you diagnose problems with third party stations. You need to find whatever error message/code or lights are showing on the charging station and look it up in the manual for your charging station.

Upvote 0

I have an existing L2 charger from GE which I owned prior to owning Teslas. Suddenly after 4 months of charging my MY, it stopped after a minute and said communication error. Plug and unplugged it a few times and it would charge. Then it stopped altogether. Tesla obviously changed the software and when I talk to support they won't tell me anything other than they do not know anything about 3rd party and then hung up.

When you stated you plugged and unplugged the GE EVSE a few times was this from the Tesla's charge port or did you unplug the GE EVSE from the receptacle (assuming the GE EVSE is not hard wired.) Are there any warning lights on the GE EVSE?

If you have not done so, unplug the GE EVSE from the Tesla vehicle and turn off the power at the service panel or subpanel for the charging circuit. Wait a minute and turn the breaker on.

If the problem persists try charging your Tesla Model Y using the Tesla Mobile Connector with the included 5-15 120V plug adapter. Even better, find a public level 2 charging station (use Plugshare or Google Maps to find "EV charging stations".) If your Tesla Model Y is able to charge using the Mobile Connector and/or the public charging station then your GE EVSE may be the source of the problem. (It could also be a loose wire connection to the GE EVSE.) EVSEs, even a high quality unit, do not last forever. If the GE EVSE is the problem it is probably not worth repairing. If your GE EVSE is hard wired you may want to consider purchasing the Tesla Wall Connector to replace the GE EVSE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi All, Thanks for the suggestions. I have not had a chance to find another L2 j1772 charger to see if it works it is the charger or the care. In the meanwhile we are using the mobile connector with the 5-plug and fortunately we have not had any long trips in a while so we are getting by. For clarification I did cut the power to the GE charger (it is hardwired) a few times with no change. I have not had a chance to check to see if the J1772 plug or the adapter to tesla adapter has dirt in it. Will check that this weekend.

Upvote 0

Here is a similar issue. I brought my brand-new 2023 Model Y home yesterday and the first time I plug in my GE DuraStation L2 charger, I get communication error message and no charging. This same L2 charger still works fine with my LEAF and my Bolt. I take my Model Y to a commercial L2 charger and it works fine. I then try using the L1 charger that came with the Bolt and that works with the Model Y as well. Only the combination of my GE L2 and my new Model Y does not work. Tesla says it is not their problem, only mine. I guess I have to buy another L2 charger.

Upvote 0
Here is a similar issue. I brought my brand-new 2023 Model Y home yesterday and the first time I plug in my GE DuraStation L2 charger, I get communication error message and no charging. This same L2 charger still works fine with my LEAF and my Bolt. I take my Model Y to a commercial L2 charger and it works fine. I then try using the L1 charger that came with the Bolt and that works with the Model Y as well. Only the combination of my GE L2 and my new Model Y does not work. Tesla says it is not their problem, only mine. I guess I have to buy another L2 charger.
Does the GE support software updates? It could be some incompatibility in the software (even though J1772 handshakes should be standardized theoretically). You should also look up the error message on the GE station and see if there are troubleshooting steps that GE might suggest.

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue starting 1/23. My Model y gets an error and won't charge on my Schneider L2 charger at home. A friend's Model 3 charges fine using my Schneider charger.

I then took the model y to chargepoint and ev connect chargers near by and it charges fine on both locations.

I think the issue might be specific to Model Y.

Upvote 0
Looking for an answer on this as well. Using a Volvo mobile charger set up on 20A circuit. Got the car a month ago, charging worked fine for a week and then after an update would not charge (keeps disconnecting after a couple minutes). Was trying to convince service reps it was a software update issue when a new update became available, updated and was able to charge again. Sunday evening there was another update and without thinking I updated’ to 2923.02.10 and now charging isn’t working again. I’m convinced it must have something to do with software but I can’t prove it. Car charges fine on public chargers and SCs.

Upvote 0
Have you contacted GE support to see if they can help? it maybe just needing an firmware upgrade or something to be compatible with the newer Tesla.

Upvote 0