Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

StormWatch - San Diego County

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info on that product. I'll be digging deeper into what happened when I get home. Needless to say I'm not happy that this system either generated a surge or didn't protect from one from the grid.
I forgot to mention that my link was directly to the manufacturer of those varistor packages. One would have to go through a distributor to break them down into packages smaller than 12 (unless one owns a multiple of 6 homes and a multiple of 12 solar system strings). I recommend one on the utility side of the utility to home shutoff, one between the solar panels and the inverter, and one in the main backed-up panel which is still active when the utility is disconnected. If there are more panels distributed far like in another building or outside far away, I'd put one there too.

Ok, good; here's a video describing them: MidNite Solar Inc. Renewable Energy System Electrical Components and E-Panels. That video does a good job explaining how many you need and where they go. At the very least, start with the utility input one, and as your funds increase, you can install more until you've got them in every recommended spot.

Last edited: