Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange code issue.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

When sitting at home, my Tesla connects to my Wi-Fi so it can get updates, but the connection from inside my home to out in the driveway is weak, so when I need to navigate somewhere I (by habit) turn off the Wi-Fi before inputting a destination. The other day, I did this without noticing that I had a navigation data update in progress. The car immediately had a freakout, throwing a code saying that I am unable to download updates because my 12V battery system is disabled. There were zero codes before I shut off Wi-Fi, this is obviously a bug due to turning off Wi-Fi in the middle of the download... but just in case I went ahead and checked voltage on the 12 volt system with my multimeter. 12.4V (lead acid, not the new Lithium 12V) so that isn't a problem. I wasn't able to figure out a way to clear codes, so I did a hard reset by pulling the connector under the rear passenger seat and the negative battery cable. While I was at the 12V battery, I did note some minor corrosion, so I cleaned up the terminal and cable end just to be on the safe side. The codes (first code VCFRONT_a402_LVBatteryCannotSupportVehicle, second code VCFRONT_a182_replace12VBattery) are clear and I haven't had any problems since resetting the system.

I can clear codes on a regular car with a generic code reader device, and if the problem persists the code comes back... I am wondering if there is a way to do this in service mode rather than having to do a hard reset?

Later,

Keith

Hey guys,

When sitting at home, my Tesla connects to my Wi-Fi so it can get updates, but the connection from inside my home to out in the driveway is weak, so when I need to navigate somewhere I (by habit) turn off the Wi-Fi before inputting a destination. The other day, I did this without noticing that I had a navigation data update in progress. The car immediately had a freakout, throwing a code saying that I am unable to download updates because my 12V battery system is disabled. There were zero codes before I shut off Wi-Fi, this is obviously a bug due to turning off Wi-Fi in the middle of the download... but just in case I went ahead and checked voltage on the 12 volt system with my multimeter. 12.4V (lead acid, not the new Lithium 12V) so that isn't a problem. I wasn't able to figure out a way to clear codes, so I did a hard reset by pulling the connector under the rear passenger seat and the negative battery cable. While I was at the 12V battery, I did note some minor corrosion, so I cleaned up the terminal and cable end just to be on the safe side. The codes (first code VCFRONT_a402_LVBatteryCannotSupportVehicle, second code VCFRONT_a182_replace12VBattery) are clear and I haven't had any problems since resetting the system.

I can clear codes on a regular car with a generic code reader device, and if the problem persists the code comes back... I am wondering if there is a way to do this in service mode rather than having to do a hard reset?

Later,

Keith
No, you cannot clear the codes in service mode. But you can possibly see more codes that are normally hidden and you can also see more detail about each code, how it is set, and what conditions need to be met to clear it.

• Informative
Reactions: Fourdoor