Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wi-Fi hotspot connection issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No change from the random, or at least unusual behaviour for me after the latest 2023.26.7 update, but I did notice yesterday that during a drive, the Wi-Fi had turned itself off but as soon as I arrived home, before I even put the car in P as I got onto my driveway it suddenly came back on as Spotify started streaming. I had purposefully disconnected and forgotten my home Wi-Fi in an attempt to see if that fixed this issue, so the only hotspot saved was my phone.

Yep - but I read on Telsa that there is an option to add the hotspot while car is in drive and then select an option to keep it connected, so will try that first!
There is, you just need to select the connected hotspot in the list and select the box to remain connected in D. The problem that I and many others are experiencing doesn't seem to be related to this, as when wifi is connected and working it is fine but almost always, wifi in the car has turned itself off.

I've actually seen wifi disable itself through no interaction with the screen, it simply goes from On to Off, and needs manual intervention to come back.

There is, you just need to select the connected hotspot in the list and select the box to remain connected in D. The problem that I and many others are experiencing doesn't seem to be related to this, as when wifi is connected and working it is fine but almost always, wifi in the car has turned itself off.

I've actually seen wifi disable itself through no interaction with the screen, it simply goes from On to Off, and needs manual intervention to come back.
Yes that's what mine was doing (not turning the car off but simply just disconnecting & having to manually add it again). I have followed the guide just before so we will see 🤞🏻

Each time I get into my 2023 LR Model Y, Wi-Fi is turned off. Once I turn it on, it will stay On during my drive with no problem. But, I want the Wi-Fi setting toggle to simply always be On, and not force me to turn it On each time.

Am I missing a setting somewhere that it can always keep Wi-Fi on, and I can simply choose the Wi-Fi network that I am interested in connecting to?

Premium Connectivity was one thing that took only about 5 seconds to decide was a necessity. It's only $8.25/mo if you pay for the year upfront. I was paying almost 3x that for just SiriusXM in our old vehicle, and all we got was some constantly repeating music channels and lousy talk radio. I'm as happy with the built in Slacker Tesla app as I was with that alone.

I'm curious as to what some of the reasoning is to use your phone as a hotspot. I can't imaging it's the cost. It looks like way more of a hassle than it's worth.
I will tell you my reason. Though I have paid for a year's premium connectivity, I got a device that enables CarPlay, which relies on my iPhone's hotspot. Sometimes, I enjoy the features of CarPlay and like the Waze app for navigation more than others.

So, the Wi-Fi turning off after a set period of time is annoying. Now, I know that I have created an unnecessary problem for myself with trying to implement CarPlay in a Tesla 🤓. But, it would be nice for Wi-Fi to not turn itself off automatically.

Lately I've been having good luck with my connection. If I wait for the wifi to connect before I put the car in the drive, 30s to a minute, then it will work without issue. IDK if the issue is that the car is slow to connect or if the phone is slow to enable the hotspot.

BTW I have 2 automations setup on my phone. One is to put the phone into 'Drive' focus when it connects to the cars BT, then once in Drive focus, enable the wifi hotspot. These were setup via the Shortcuts app on my iPhone.

Apple Music has ben working consistently as well with 2023.26.7.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Skavatar
Here's what works for me, on both 2023.32.7 and 2023.32.4, consistently on every drive:

The car has 2 network SSID's configured, my home and my iphone's hotspot. Both have "remain connected in drive" checked in the wifi settings. My iphone has two automations (shortcuts app -> automation); one turns on the hotspot (and makes it discoverable) when the phone connects to the car's bluetooth, the other tuns it off when disconnecting from the car's bluetooth. The automations appear to make the hotspot discoverable as well. I think that manually turning on the phone's hotspot doesn't leave it discoverable unless you keep the settings app open.

When getting in the car, you must wait for the car to connect to wifi (phone or home wifi) before taking the car out of park. Once it connects to the wifi network, the "remain connected in drive" setting is activated, and the car will remain connected to the wifi. If you take the car out of park before the wifi connects, "remain connected in drive" doesn't activate, the car's wifi shuts off and doesn't connect to the phone's hotspot

When I leave home, the car will disconnect from the home wifi when it goes out of range and connect to the phone's hotspot automatically. Other locations it connects to the hotspot for the duration of the drive.

• Informative
Reactions: Skavatar
Hi tga. I enable hotspot on my android and car connects just fine. However the satellite sat nav option doesn't appear nor the 'google' orange traffic congestion line on maps nor can I stream services, so I don't see the point of doing this (except may be to do an update while away from my garage wifi). Is your experience different? I'm on sw 2023.44.30.8, MY RWD