Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange heat coming from center console and under front seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently on a 500 mile drive and noticed the seat seemed like I am getting a lot of heat from the sides I of the center console and under the front seats.
The outside temp is in the low 40s, hvac is set on auto at 69 degrees. I have it seems that the face vents are always on a cooler temp but I have noticed the hvac is turning on and off the floor vents but it seems like it is a hotter temp? The center console heat reminds me of having a transmission and exhaust without heat shields. Anyone notice this before?

Do you have the seat heaters turned on? On the display, if you have 1, 2, or 3 squiggly red lines above the seats, the seat heater is on.
SeatHeaterLocation.png

Do you have the seat heaters turned on? On the display, if you have 1, 2, or 3 squiggly red lines above the seats, the seat heater is on.
View attachment 351942

Lol no they aren't on. I did have them on at the beginning of the drive but turned them off probably 1 hour before noticing the heat. I stopped and charged for about 20 minutes and now it seems to be back to normal but very strange

We just got our 3 a couple of weeks ago and noticed similar heat coming from the rear vents even though temp was set in the 60's. Not sure what the deal was, haven't really spent time to see if it is a consistent issue or not as I've been in Europe all week and just got back. Maybe it's a weird North Carolina problem;)

Currently on a 500 mile drive and noticed the seat seemed like I am getting a lot of heat from the sides I of the center console and under the front seats.
The outside temp is in the low 40s, hvac is set on auto at 69 degrees. I have it seems that the face vents are always on a cooler temp but I have noticed the hvac is turning on and off the floor vents but it seems like it is a hotter temp? The center console heat reminds me of having a transmission and exhaust without heat shields. Anyone notice this before?

I just went on our first long trip this weekend and the same thing happened! Rear vents blowing hot, despite ac on.

I googled briefly from the car and saw a post on some forum that said (speculated?) that it was excess battery heat. Dunno if that is accurate, but makes sense to me. We were driving fast for hours and had recently supercharged.

I was actually sitting in back w kids and it wasn’t pleasant. Definitely not how hvac system should work. Turning off rear vents helped a lot.

Might be hard to replicate at the service center, unless they drive it for 100 miles at 75mph! But I will bring it up when I have to go to the service center.

It's not really heat coming from the rear vents since those are turned off unless there is someone in the back seat. Unless there are vents under the front seats for the rear seats. I'll have to check to see if there are some. Maybe heat from the battery is heating up the ducts going to the back floor vents and when the hvac is on auto it tries to cycle air inside the vehicle causing heat to come out? Just a guess here. I am going into service as soon as a replacement headlight gets in so I will bring it up then