Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange tire pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I got
1642275290256.png
light and I did check pressure. All tires shows 34 on screen with one 34 orange. I did look on a driver door it says 42. Is that my tires off? Strange. Any idea? Should I pump all of them to 42?

IMG_6007.jpg

You should set them to the tire pressure it shows on the door jam (just like any other car). Most sensors show percentage change, so its likely the one tire that shows the alert had slightly less air put in it to begin with, so this isnt "strange", its just like any other car with TPMS.

Today I got View attachment 756040light and I did check pressure. All tires shows 34 on screen with one 34 orange. I did look on a driver door it says 42. Is that my tires off? Strange. Any idea? Should I pump all of them to 42?

View attachment 756043
How cold is it? Readings may change under extreme temperatures like the NE is having this weekend. I am in Toronto and my tire pressures have all dropped.

the TPMS aren't that accurate such that one could easily trigger a warning 1 pound of pressure less or more. That said, the sensors are set to the recommended pressure, i.e., 42 psi. When you get down to 34, it is ~80% of recommended. Not surprised that it triggered. (They used to trigger <90%).

You don't have to set them at 42 (Elon says 39 gives a more comfortable ride), but 34 is gonna get you a warning (and will wear more on the outside of the tires).

That orange tire was probably 0.3 psi lower then the rest, so set the alarm.
Some tmps sensors send pressure to unit in 0,5 psi steps, but unit only gives it to you in 1psi steps.
But the 42 psi is extreme high for energysaving so actiradius of battery.
Dont you have a comfort setting for the tirepressures, then the alarm is set for lower pressure.
Its yust what you want, comfort or actiradius.

Should I pump all of them to 42?
Yes; Always keep the tires inflated to the tire pressure stated on the manufacturer's label located on the pillar by the driver's door. Always check, set tire pressure after the vehicle has been parked, not in direct sun, for at least 3 hours. Tesla recommends a tire pressure of 42 PSI. You can safely adjust the tire pressure up or down by several PSI in searching for a better ride; 34 PSI is too low.

Last edited:
Nothing strange about it. Very common occurrence where I live as it does get darn cold here at times. For every 10F drop you will lose about 1 psi. Combine that with most people who do not top off their tires every couple of months and there you go. A tire self deflates about 1-3 psi every month and does need topping off periodically . Bring them all up to at least 40 and you will be good to go.

Reactions: SWIPE