Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre pressures all reading low

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When changing seasonal wheels, it takes about 2/3 minutes/mile of driving for new sensors to be detected
I had Tesla change my wheels earlier this year and the tech only drove the car forward a yard or two and then back. The TPMS picked up the new wheels in that time. Like you I thought it needed a longer drive to get picked up. Will check myself when it's time to change wheels again.

Genuine question:

I understand that with colder temperatures the tyres will be colder, and pressure drop. And therefore I could fill them up "for the winter"

But if they are going to get to "normal temperature" after 15 minutes driving (is that actually the case, in winter?) then won't they then be over pressure? And as such I should leave them as they are, and be careful the first 15 mintues drive?

Clearly my thinking is contrary to the advice, so I must be wrong ... and therefore need someone to put me straight please :)

Genuine question:

I understand that with colder temperatures the tyres will be colder, and pressure drop. And therefore I could fill them up "for the winter"

But if they are going to get to "normal temperature" after 15 minutes driving (is that actually the case, in winter?) then won't they then be over pressure? And as such I should leave them as they are, and be careful the first 15 mintues drive?

Clearly my thinking is contrary to the advice, so I must be wrong ... and therefore need someone to put me straight please :)
The stated 42psi is the right pressure for when they are cold, sure they may go up a little if you get a lot of heat in them, that's perfectly normal and not a problem. From the manual ...

1697459548931.png

As with most nanny state things, TPMS is there as a guide. You should be checking your tyres for wear and tear and pressure, wiper blades for correct function, lights for operation etc etc etc.

When the tyres are cold in the winter, that’s a different story to cold in the middle of summer. There could easily be a 20 degree+ difference there.

42 PSI is a central, ball park figure they should operate at for maximum efficiency and grip and safety. A few PSI isn’t going to end the world but having x pressure at x degrees to change as the temperate changes just isn’t feasible.

Stick to what is recommended, don’t rely on TPMS to save the world and you will be fine.

I’ll now sit back and await the next thread about how a pressure warning is on and they defo don’t have a flat, Tesla is rubbish and it’s going back and they are never owning one again…..

They don't get to 'normal temperature' due to the temperature of the road surface keeping it cooler. That's why summer tyres give up some of their grip once temperatures get into single digits.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Nothing to worry about and there isn't an option anymore to recalibrate - Tesla fix the required pressure to be 42 PSI and a 10% fall to just under 38 PSI will trigger the alert.
I think that may be the case with the MY but the M3 still as the option to learn new pressures under Service/Reset TPMS Sensors.

I think that may be the case with the MY but the M3 still as the option to learn new pressures under Service/Reset TPMS Sensors.
I don't believe that's the case anymore. The reset will relearn sensors/positions but won't let you set your own desired pressure like most systems on other vehicles. Not sure if it's just for newer M3s or has been forced on all of them through a software update.

I don't believe that's the case anymore. The reset will relearn sensors/positions but won't let you set your own desired pressure like most systems on other vehicles. Not sure if it's just for newer M3s or has been forced on all of them through a software update.
It works on mine - 2020 M3 with 2023.32.7

Reactions: MrT3
Got in the car this morning and got a low pressure warning. All 4 tyres reading 39 psi. When I last looked they were all 42. I understand the lower ambient temperature will drop the tyre pressures, but I checked them using the display on the inflator pump, and they all show as 41 after a 15 minute drive, the car still showing 39. Previously the two readings have been corresponding. What's going on?
It's cold...

On the other hand I got in my car cold but sun shining on one side and tyres that side where about 4psi higher

It's cold...

On the other hand I got in my car cold but sun shining on one side and tyres that side where about 4psi higher
Paragraph 9 in this:

;)

Reactions: Jonnymack74