Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Streaming Plex via local network (w/o internet)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, maybe this question was asked before but I missed it so here it goes:
TL;DR - "Can Tesla vehicles connect to a local-created wifi and connect to that network Plex server to play movies on car's screen"?

Details:
* no internet access
* Linux or Windows laptop
* WiFi hot spot created
* Plex server running on the laptop

Any help on this is appreciated. Regards.

I wasn't able to access my local Plex server via Wi-Fi. The car's browser seems to block numerical URLs (like http://192.168.x.x:32400/web, which is how you access a local Plex server). I also think it has a hard-coded DNS server; It wasn't able to resolve "plexserver.lan", which is the local Plex server host. If it used the DNS server in my router it would have resolved it.

Even still, I was able to try streaming Plex live streaming channels over the internet and it was really just too slow to be usable.

I use ABetterTheater.com - Full Screen Apps all the time. The one caveat is to change the media to "Convert Automatically", especially when the original media is high resolution / bitrate. It works for me fine. In fact, my wife and I celebrated New Year's in my car while the kids fell asleep in our hotel room watching Curb Your Enthusiasm from my Plex library while drinking Champagne.

Pretty sure this routes the traffic through ABetterTheater.com - Full Screen Apps but if you're on home wifi then speed should be fine.