Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Playing audio/video while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm working on an app that allows users to play audio/video while the car is moving. I'm able to achieve this through low level browser APIs. I have a demo available here: FSD Theater

My end goal is to allow users to play any video (Youtube, IPTV, etc) from their phone, but I'm kind of blocked on one thing. I'm not sure how to get around the fact that the Tesla in-car browser blocks any connections to a local server. In my case, I run a server on the user's device, which streams to the in-car browser. I do this so that I don't have to introduce a middleman.

I know there is a way around this limitations, because apps like Official Site of TeslaMirror/TslaMirror APP are able to do it. They do it through a local VPN, I think that's the most convenient way, but I'm open to other options.

From their FAQ:
4 Why does this TeslaMirror App need a VPN service? Is there any privacy issue with it?
About the need for VPN, it is mainly because Tesla blocks all of the normal private LAN segment. So, the virtual IP address is used to bypass the Tesla network limitation. The VPN tunnel is not connected to any public server. For the VPN tunnel, one side is the iOS/Android device to be mirrored, another side is the Tesla car. There is a web server running on the iOS device with a virtual IP 240.3.3.3 (Android with 3.3.3.3 IP address). This web server is not available for public Internet access. There are only Tesla car and the phone, no middle server running on the Internet. There is no privacy issue with it.

I'm not sure how this is done on IOS, I've explored as much as I can on Apple's developer docs and sample code, but I can't seem to find an example of this.

If there's any iOS devs here or can point me in the right direction, it would be great.

Thanks,

Reactions: Spinkick