Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suburban Weekend Warrior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else using their MX to tow stuff besides campers? I've towed a few trailers so far and it is excellent with it! The trailers definitely get a few laughs/questions/smiles from people in the parking lots.

IMG_0109.jpg

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Hitch vertical weight limit is 500 lbs.

The tray is light weight aluminum and I mostly carried bulky but lightweight stuff in there. (Blankets, pillows) Maybe 100 lbs max. Even put the heaviest stuff in the front of the box to minimize the lever effect. Really could not tell it was there.

Was interesting to turn on the backup camera and watch it trail behind. It was rock steady.

Amazing just how much capacity the model X has inside. I even stuffed the frunk with some books and heavier stuff to balance the car. The air ride suspension functioned great in keeping everything level and controlled.

Hitch vertical weight limit is 500 lbs.

The tray is light weight aluminum and I mostly carried bulky but lightweight stuff in there. (Blankets, pillows) Maybe 100 lbs max. Even put the heaviest stuff in the front of the box to minimize the lever effect. Really could not tell it was there.

Was interesting to turn on the backup camera and watch it trail behind. It was rock steady.

Amazing just how much capacity the model X has inside. I even stuffed the frunk with some books and heavier stuff to balance the car. The air ride suspension functioned great in keeping everything level and controlled.
Hitch vertical limit is 120lbs according to the manual I'm reading and all the other info I've seen. And note that's 120 lbs when using an accessory carrier like a bike rack. You have to take torque into the account, and that deck box looks to be farther out than a normal bike rack which would impart significantly more force on the hitch.

So you can't just attach anything and fill it with 120lbs and call it good, it's only rated for 120lbs at the specified distance from the hitch. The farther out you go, the less weight you can carry.

Believe accesory hitch was 120 lbs. The is the full tow package hitch. Hitch has a 5,000 lbs rating. Tongue weight usually 10% of this or 500 lbs. Will check it out, and appreciate your advice if I overloaded it.

Here is another picture, towing a 1,100 lb electric golf cart on an aluminum UHaul Trailer. Towed great, but used most of my 75 battery going around 150 miles. Trailer towed like a piece of cake. (Cart is a Lido neighborhood vehicle. 24 mph and community street legal)
IMG_0017.jpg

Did some internet searching, and some of the earlier Bosal hitches had a sticker saying 500 lb tongue weight, but only 125 lb. and two bike limit. Not sure that this is a Tesla thing or Bosal hitch thing.
I also imagine that there is a tremendous weight load from the wind traveling at highway speeds with a couple bikes mounted sideways on the back.

On the other hand I saw a video of a Model X pulling a full sized airliner. I am befuddled.

My aftermarket hitch has a tongue weight of 750 lbs and a 5000 lb tow capacity.
Does it matter though what the hitch says it's rated for (serious question, not being snarky)? It would seem the strength of the frame/attachment points on the vehicle is the only important thing. The hitch itself could take 1,000lbs, but if the Model X can only handle 125lbs due to the way the hitch attaches to the vehicle, it doesn't really matter. Could be wrong, not an expert.

Does it matter though what the hitch says it's rated for (serious question, not being snarky)? It would seem the strength of the frame/attachment points on the vehicle is the only important thing. The hitch itself could take 1,000lbs, but if the Model X can only handle 125lbs due to the way the hitch attaches to the vehicle, it doesn't really matter. Could be wrong, not an expert.
Because it is manufactured for a specific make/model of vehicle and specifically "is rated" for that exact make and model car or truck that it is to be bolted up to.

Last edited: