Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing Trailer Noobie - Please explain like I am 14 years old

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm looking to rent a towable trailer for a road trip with my wife and kids up to the Canada, around Banff, Jasper, and surrounding areas. However, I am new to the trailer stuff, and in doing my own research, I'm having trouble keeping up with everything I need to prepare. I've watched videos on installing the tow hitch, and I don't anticipate I will have any issues with that. Supercharging seems pretty available except from my route from Lake Louise - Jasper. May just have to take it slow to make it to the Jasper Superchargers.

1) Can someone give me some resources on what I need to know about towing a trailer?
2) I'm reading about needing a brake controller on the tesla manual, but don't see a lot of resources beyond that. Is Tesla the only option to purchase something like that if necessary, or does anyone have any other aftermarket suggestions? I'm looking to tow a 3500 lb trailer with my 2022 MXLR.
3) What other considerations do I need to have on this subject?

Thank you all in advance.
Jeff

Reactions: WyoDude
Hi All,

I'm looking to rent a towable trailer for a road trip with my wife and kids up to the Canada, around Banff, Jasper, and surrounding areas. However, I am new to the trailer stuff, and in doing my own research, I'm having trouble keeping up with everything I need to prepare. I've watched videos on installing the tow hitch, and I don't anticipate I will have any issues with that. Supercharging seems pretty available except from my route from Lake Louise - Jasper. May just have to take it slow to make it to the Jasper Superchargers.

1) Can someone give me some resources on what I need to know about towing a trailer?
2) I'm reading about needing a brake controller on the tesla manual, but don't see a lot of resources beyond that. Is Tesla the only option to purchase something like that if necessary, or does anyone have any other aftermarket suggestions? I'm looking to tow a 3500 lb trailer with my 2022 MXLR.
3) What other considerations do I need to have on this subject?

Thank you all in advance.
Jeff

Try Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

Reactions: WyoDude and JPWX
1) Have you tried using ABetterRoutePlanner to map your trip? What settings did you use? Did you find those from others pulling a trailer?
2) Are you pulling a camping trailer then?

Here is one older document on setting up a brake controller. Not sure if there are better options now but that person was very insistent that it was the best/most_compatible at the time: https://www.adelman.com/model-x-brake-controller.pdf

I've taken this route but way different pulling a trailer.

! Screenshot of ABRP.jpg

MnnZi4O.jpg

Maybe?

NOvdzjN.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WyoDude and JPWX
Hi @JPWX,

You will need to buy some parts for the trailer brake system....

1072586-00-A Trailer Brake adapter harness... From Tesla Service Center or eBay $11 to $20

Prodigy P3 Brake Controller $150 to $200 Amazon or your local trailer supply...

Do NOT TRY and of the RF brake controllers there is no 12 volt output on the 7 pin connection.

Curt 45032 Class 3 ball mount 2" inch receiver 3/4" rise $28 Amazon or your trailer supply

Curt 40037 Chrome trailer hitch ball $13 Amazon or your local...

The trickiest part is to attach the Tesla 1072586 to the Tekonsha universal harness adapter.
It's tricky because they both have 4 wires - Red, white, blue, and black...
The colors DO NOT MATCH from the Tesla part to the Tekonsha adapter...
I will attach the wiring diagram.

Shawn

Attachments

• Tesla X Trailer Harness Wire Legend.pdf
    61.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Tekonsha Wiring Diagram.pdf
    547.4 KB · Views: 22
Hi @JPWX,

1072586-00-A Trailer Brake adapter harness... From Tesla Service Center or eBay $11 to $20

Do NOT TRY and of the RF brake controllers there is no 12 volt output on the 7 pin connection.

Curt 45032 Class 3 ball mount 2" inch receiver 3/4" rise $28 Amazon or your trailer supply

The trickiest part is to attach the Tesla 1072586 to the Tekonsha universal harness adapter.

Shawn
This is super helpful. I unfortunately don't understand much about the brake controller. I think I understand it's purpose, basically to apply brakes to the trailer when I apply on the Model X. But this is helpful to know what additional items I will need to purchase to prepare for this endeavor.

Hi @JPWX ,

The brakes on the trailer of this weight have electromagnets to clamp on the disc
or to expand the brake shoes to slow the trailer...

The controllers help to modulate the amount of electricity sent to the brakes.
The Prodigy controllers have a inertial sensor to apply more voltage to the trailer
brakes as you apply the brakes "harder" in your car.

The controller can vary the voltage to get the braking result you desire...
You don't want the trailer pushing on the car in a braking situation.

It will make more sense as you use it...

Shawn

PS _ I'm not a Prodigy seller or marketeer. I use and have had success
with their products.

Have you towed a trailer before? Does the trailer have breaks? What kind?
How tall is the trailer? How long?

Find a spot to practice backing it up. 3 point turns ect before you hit the road. Take it easy keep it under 65 mph. Your stopping distance will be much longer than you are used too. Leave an absurd amount of room between the you and the vehicle in front if you. Don’t make any sudden steering inputs. With a trailer your instinct has to be don’t do anything sudden. The absurdly long following distance is the key.

I’d pay to have the controller installed.

Towing mirrors look stupid but they have a purpose I haven’t towed with my X but if traveling and real distance I’d get a strap on set.

Run your tire pressure at 49 psi. Get a good tire gauge.

I’m a farm kid. I don’t recall any bad accidents while we were on the farm. We weren’t ever in a rush. We always had time to make sure we checked tire pressure, chains, lights ect.

Towing a trailer is work while driving. I’ve done 900 miles in 18 hours with a small travel trailer behind an old 4Runner. It was not fun. I’m at the point that I would rather rent a big van and tent camp in between hotel stays than pull a trailer on a really long road trip.

A weigh safe hitch will be invaluable when it comes to setting proper tongue weight @ 10-15% of total trailer weight.

A prodigy controller will be great compared to the Bluetooth curt. As you’ll have more granular control over the trailer’s brakes than the Bluetooth offering.

Plan for no better than 1mi:1kWh @ 55-60mph and be pleasantly surprised should you encounter better.

Reactions: WyoDude and EbS-P
Have you towed a trailer before? Does the trailer have breaks? What kind?
How tall is the trailer? How long?

Find a spot to practice backing it up. 3 point turns ect before you hit the road. Take it easy keep it under 65 mph. Your stopping distance will be much longer than you are used too. Leave an absurd amount of room between the you and the vehicle in front if you. Don’t make any sudden steering inputs. With a trailer your instinct has to be don’t do anything sudden. The absurdly long following distance is the key.

I’d pay to have the controller installed.

Towing mirrors look stupid but they have a purpose I haven’t towed with my X but if traveling and real distance I’d get a strap on set.

Run your tire pressure at 49 psi. Get a good tire gauge.

I’m a farm kid. I don’t recall any bad accidents while we were on the farm. We weren’t ever in a rush. We always had time to make sure we checked tire pressure, chains, lights ect.

Towing a trailer is work while driving. I’ve done 900 miles in 18 hours with a small travel trailer behind an old 4Runner. It was not fun. I’m at the point that I would rather rent a big van and tent camp in between hotel stays than pull a trailer on a really long road trip.
Thanks! I used to drive 18 wheelers in the Army so I understand a bit about the driving dynamics of pulling long and heavy weight. It's more on this side of things driving an EV I'm not understanding of. Again, I appreciate everyone's help so far! I love all of these suggestions.

Reactions: WyoDude and EbS-P
If you have the tow kit, just plug it in mount it and you are good to go. As far as driving, it's just like any other car except you will only be able to do 75-125 miles at a time
Are you suggesting that they do not use a trailer brake? It is especially important when driving in mountains like they are planning.
If so that is completely irresponsible especially because they are new. Tesla's model X manual even recommends it.

QPNPrwV.jpg

Hi @JPWX,

Shawn
So this looks like the trailer I'm going to be renting: 2022 Jay Flight SLX 7 - 174BH | Jayco, Inc

Does the above list of items to be purchased still stand?

Thank you!

As I recall, that stretch of road between Banff and Jasper (one of the most beautiful stretches of road you will ever do!), is pretty full of steep ups and downs, so be aware of that when you consider the range towing. Lots of beautiful spots to stop and sitesee/hike, but not much in the way of amenities.

Reactions: JPWX
Hi @JPWX,

The list still looks good to me...
As someone above mentioned your trailer dealer may be
able to help installing things.

A time critical item is the Tesla Adapter harness 1072586-00-A
It may be available through your Tesla service center.
Not something your trailer dealer will have.
But for $20 or less, good to get on order soon so
you are able to put the trailer brakes package together quickly...
If the plan falls apart or you decide not to proceed you are only out $20.

As @scottf200 mentioned above the tricky wiring harness diagram was
included in the package above...

14 year olds sometimes require nagging... :)

Good luck - It looks like a wonderful trip!

Shawn

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: JPWX and scottf200