Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden braking with AP1 after update 2017.42.a88c8d5 (8.1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using AP1 on my 2015 MS 70D for the better part of a year for about 15 miles of my commute morning and evening when in heavy rolling traffic, and have had confidence in its behavior over this period of time. I've had two instances since updating to 2017.42.a88c8d5 in which AP1 hits the brakes between 40-50 MPH for apparently no good reason.

On one occasion the emergency auto-braking STOP lit up for a second and then went away. In both cases a car had merged into my lane with a reasonable amount of room and was pulling away (AP set to 3 car lengths). This in itself, did not trigger EAB. It was after about 15 seconds after the merge the cars had pulled 5-6 car lengths away that AP decided to hit the brakes and dropped my speed from 50 to 30 MPH in rush hour traffic. I was ready to hit the accelerator both times to avoid getting rear-ended.

This happened once in the morning, and once in the evening. Different roads. I have lost confidence in AP for the first time and have stopped using it. I filed a bug report with Tesla the second time it happened. Has anyone else experienced this issue since updating?