Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden drop in range 2016 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a strange drop in range on my late 2016 90D Model S. I purchased this car used from a third party in January 2019. Had been daily driving it plus many long trips since purchasing. On my long trips I would usually charge to about 90 to 98% prior to leaving and could easily make 200+ miles, even in cold winter weather, on hilly terrain, on snow tires, and lots of highway driving 80+ mph.

I was traveling out-of-town in the month of April and so I left the car in my garage, plugged in and the charge limit set to 80%. I was gone about 3 weeks and when I returned the car was at 66% or there abouts, can't remember exactly. I thought was strange since it was plugged in the whole time it doesn't seem to have just stayed at the 80% charge limit. Didn't think much of it as the time.

I went about my normal daily driving with charging at night time to 80% for normal daily driving or up to about 95% if I was going on a longer trip (my usual long trip is about 200 or so miles each way which I do most weekend). I was not getting even close to the same range as I would before. This is in spring weather without the need for heating or air conditioner and on new summer tires.

For example on my usual 200 mile trip I would arrive with anywhere between 10-15% charge remaining but now I was unable to make it on my standard 95% charge. I started to check my range by charging up near full and seeing how much mileage I could get without recharging and these are the results:

FIRST TIME:
Charged to 90%, computer gave me 255 miles range
After driving157 miles only 5% charge left (and computer gave 15 miles range remaining)
Trip computer calculated 52kwh used at 332wh/mi

SECOND TIME
Charged to 98%, computer gave me 274mi range
After driving 176 miles with only 3% charge left (and computer gave me 9 miles range remaining)
Trip computer calculated 58kwh used at 330wh/mi

THIRD TIME
Charged to 94% and computer gave me 262 miles range
After driving 153 miles and 15% charge left (and computer gave me 43 miles range remaining)
Trip computer calcuated 48kwh used at 323wh/mi

Based on these data I only seem to be getting about 61kwh out of my 90kwh battery. Vehicle has 36k miles on the odometer. Had much better range before I parked it for three weeks..plugged in.

Any idea what is going on?

First thing I would do is check to see which battery pack is in the car. The label is inside the wheel well of the right front tire. Turn the tire all the way and you can see it. If you have an "A" pack, they were problematic. Then you might want to do a search on this forum for how to balance your pack (there are a number of really good threads on that).

First thing I would do is check to see which battery pack is in the car. The label is inside the wheel well of the right front tire. Turn the tire all the way and you can see it. If you have an "A" pack, they were problematic. Then you might want to do a search on this forum for how to balance your pack (there are a number of really good threads on that).
The MS 90D i'm considering buying as an "A" pack and on my overnight demo I believe it has some of the same issues. Where can I find more information on the A pack battery?