TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sudden Trunk Opening

Discussion in 'Model S' started by chetmmd, Aug 1, 2018.

1. chetmmd

chetmmd Member

So I am driving my S in to my work garage, and for no discernable reason, my back trunk Opens! Clunked the bar too.

Now this was a mystery to me, but I think I solved it - I think, since the key fob was in my front pocket, the trunk opener got pressed.

Has this happened to anyone else, or are there mysterious trunk openings while the car is in motion for other reasons (and by the way, if the light goes off, take it seriously and stop, because unlike other cars, the back trunk lid really does rise all the way)

2. Ormond

Ormond Member

I've had my Model X rear hatch open a few times because of having something in my pocket press on the key fob. However, I've never had it happen while in motion.

• Like x 1
  3. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

Happend to me with the frunk. I was getting in the car and the fob must have caught my wallet just right.
    Was a surprise, but I quickly realized what happened.

4. chetmmd

chetmmd Member

Actually, there is a part two to this anecdote; When I did stop and park my S, the frunk had opened as well, but not being on a lift stayed down. Guess I better get out of the habit of carrying my keys in my pocket when I am driving!

Come to dwell on it, there are two other (humorous, maybe) anecdotes that have happened to me since Tesla ownership

1) rented a car with electronic starting, and being a new car, had a quiet motor. Parked it in some Texas neighborhood and went into a restaurant for a bite. Finished lunch, came out and the car was still running, because of course, unlike the Tesla you specifically have to push a stop button after shifting to park to get the car to stop. Fortunately I still had a car to come to

2) Driving with my wife in her Audi. Nice car (They politely sneered at me in the Audi dealership when I asked about their plans for an electric car like Tesla and if I could get one). So I do the same thing: Shift into park, open the door and get out. Wife looks at me strangely; the key is still in the ignition, and the car is still running.

Hmm, owning a Tesla is an adjustment...

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. project880

project880 Member

Yes, happened to me before where the trunk opened on its own while I was on the highway. Brought it in for service and they replaced the latch under warranty.

• Like x 1