Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Trunk Opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am driving my S in to my work garage, and for no discernable reason, my back trunk Opens! Clunked the bar too.

Now this was a mystery to me, but I think I solved it - I think, since the key fob was in my front pocket, the trunk opener got pressed.

Has this happened to anyone else, or are there mysterious trunk openings while the car is in motion for other reasons (and by the way, if the light goes off, take it seriously and stop, because unlike other cars, the back trunk lid really does rise all the way)

Actually, there is a part two to this anecdote; When I did stop and park my S, the frunk had opened as well, but not being on a lift stayed down. Guess I better get out of the habit of carrying my keys in my pocket when I am driving!

Come to dwell on it, there are two other (humorous, maybe) anecdotes that have happened to me since Tesla ownership

1) rented a car with electronic starting, and being a new car, had a quiet motor. Parked it in some Texas neighborhood and went into a restaurant for a bite. Finished lunch, came out and the car was still running, because of course, unlike the Tesla you specifically have to push a stop button after shifting to park to get the car to stop. Fortunately I still had a car to come to

2) Driving with my wife in her Audi. Nice car (They politely sneered at me in the Audi dealership when I asked about their plans for an electric car like Tesla and if I could get one). So I do the same thing: Shift into park, open the door and get out. Wife looks at me strangely; the key is still in the ignition, and the car is still running.

Hmm, owning a Tesla is an adjustment...