Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone want to take a stab at diagnosis? Screens blank, no blinkers, no high beams, but "all else" works...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Edit: 2017 Model S, FSD and upgraded to MCU2, HW3.0, and the newer cameras]

Things that DO work: car runs and drivers, door handles, frunk and trunk open with key fob, interior lights, windows, seat motors (manual only)
Things that stopped working suddenly: screens (center and dash) and basically everything associated with MCU, and ALMOST everything on the steering wheel and steering column. Exceptions to that are the horn works and I can turn on the wipers. Headlights come on automatically but no brights and no blinkers.

SO...while my initial thought with the dead screen was a dead 12V battery, now I'm pretty sure the battery is fine and this is something quite different. Any ideas?

[Edit: 2017 Model S, FSD and upgraded to MCU2, HW3.0, and the newer cameras]

Things that DO work: car runs and drivers, door handles, frunk and trunk open with key fob, interior lights, windows, seat motors (manual only)
Things that stopped working suddenly: screens (center and dash) and basically everything associated with MCU, and ALMOST everything on the steering wheel and steering column. Exceptions to that are the horn works and I can turn on the wipers. Headlights come on automatically but no brights and no blinkers.

SO...while my initial thought with the dead screen was a dead 12V battery, now I'm pretty sure the battery is fine and this is something quite different. Any ideas?
As long as the horn works, drive on!

Re: power off reset - is that rebooting with the scroll wheel buttons and/or top selector buttons on the steering wheel? If so, I've tried that with still no signs of life after about 2 minutes.
No, that's not it. Here are the instructions, copied from the manual:
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

Reactions: aesculus
I read OP meant the MCU and instrument cluster is dead or blank...
Indeed, blank screen, presumably dead screen. I say presumably because I did "test" to see if maybe it just lost backlighting (had that happen to a computer recently). I tapped all around the bottom left corner to see if anything would change with the AC, but I got nothing.

I did read about the LVDS cable, so maybe that? I'm sort of grasping at straws until service can take a look.