Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden unexpected turns in FSD mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2017 100D MX with FSD active. Recently I have been experiencing sudden, unexpected, VERY ABRUPT, turns of the wheel typically to the right. If I hadn’t had my hands on the wheel I would have been abruptly turned into another car in the lane beside me. It is very scary and, while I clearly like my FSD feature, I don’t feel comfortable engaging if other cars are around me. It requires me to interrupt the FSD mode to keep the car in the appropriate lane and out of the side of another car. All software is up to date and there are no warnings or faults.
Anyone else experiencing this?

In my 25K+ miles on AP, and recently about 2K+ on FSD, I have rarely had a need to do a "Bug Report" (simply done by pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel and saying 'bug report' followed immediately by a brief description of the issue) before this last "Recall" update about two weeks ago for me.
Although it has never been 'perfect'... I have gotten to know what to look for and know (or at least have a good idea) how the car will react, and be ready to correct.
But this last update has completely ruined FSD for me! Not only does it constantly try to change lanes (even with 'minimal' clicked on), but it will do as others have mentioned and move quickly and unsafely out of a lane with apparent disregard for adjacent vehicles!
Also, even though I had it set to continue straight on a arterial, it abruptly changed lanes into an adjacent turn-only lane! WTAF?
I am so freakishly frustrated with this latest update that I turned off FSD and am now on the 'old' AP.
I have filed numerous, daily bug reports in the last couple weeks... I've NEVER had to do that before.
Tesla... PLEASE GET A FIX OUT ASAP!!!!

Upvote 0
In my 25K+ miles on AP, and recently about 2K+ on FSD, I have rarely had a need to do a "Bug Report" (simply done by pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel and saying 'bug report' followed immediately by a brief description of the issue) before this last "Recall" update about two weeks ago for me.
Although it has never been 'perfect'... I have gotten to know what to look for and know (or at least have a good idea) how the car will react, and be ready to correct.
But this last update has completely ruined FSD for me! Not only does it constantly try to change lanes (even with 'minimal' clicked on), but it will do as others have mentioned and move quickly and unsafely out of a lane with apparent disregard for adjacent vehicles!
Also, even though I had it set to continue straight on a arterial, it abruptly changed lanes into an adjacent turn-only lane! WTAF?
I am so freakishly frustrated with this latest update that I turned off FSD and am now on the 'old' AP.
I have filed numerous, daily bug reports in the last couple weeks... I've NEVER had to do that before.
Tesla... PLEASE GET A FIX OUT ASAP!!!!
That is exactly my experience. It is truly terrifying because you never know when it is going to do that sudden lane change thing. The car has always done sort of random lane changes on the highway and sometimes I fight it and sometimes (when there is no traffic) I just let it do it’s thing and change lanes every mile or two.
The latest update just totally trashed the functionality — phantom braking is back with a vengeance and the sudden throws of the wheel (usually to the right) is really dangerous.
I’m like you and I’ve really gone back to just using AP rather than the FSD (maybe it stands for Freakish Self Death now).
I’ve had my MX for 112,000 miles and have FSD for a long time, but now rarely use it since the last update.

Upvote 0
phantom braking is back with a vengeance
So far, thank gawd, I have been apparently very lucky with phantom braking. I've only had a handful of times where this happened over the years. Others, like you, seem to have many more occurrences! To be clear, my X has definitely "slowed down" on occasion, but it's more like taking the foot off the accelerator... not braking. But it has braked hard a couple times to the point of it being jarring - and thankfully no one was close behind!!

I'm on version 2022.45.15. Not sure if that's the most recent... but I'm still anxiously awaiting the next update in the hopes it will fix some of these bugs.

It really sucks, because I've become used to the smoothness that FSD delivered (when it's not 'glitching'). Now, being back on standard AP, I am being reminded of how far backward that seems! I mean... I have to brake for red lights and stop signs now???? 🤣
🤣🤣

Upvote 0
I have 2017 100D MX with FSD active. Recently I have been experiencing sudden, unexpected, VERY ABRUPT, turns of the wheel typically to the right. If I hadn’t had my hands on the wheel I would have been abruptly turned into another car in the lane beside me. It is very scary and, while I clearly like my FSD feature, I don’t feel comfortable engaging if other cars are around me. It requires me to interrupt the FSD mode to keep the car in the appropriate lane and out of the side of another car. All software is up to date and there are no warnings or faults.
I’ve been experiencing the same problem. We problem and very scary. Doesn’t seem to happen on the Highway. I’ve stopped using FSD on city streets and on the on/off ramps.

Reactions: thtrotter
Upvote 0
I have not experienced the swerve into another lane, but I had a 4 phantom breaking situations a month ago with my 2023 X in about 8 miles of driving. One was so hard that the ABS kicked in and the tires were squealing. Went from maybe 50-55 to 20 MPH. I have not turned on AP since.
For me, phantom braking has just become part of the equation…. FSD is not ready for the city streets — highway is good except for frequent and random lane changes… it’s a real PITA to have to keep stopping them by using the opposite turn signal and I’m sure the people behind me think the car is being driven by a schizophrenic.

Reactions: rpo and Genie
Upvote 0
This just happened to me at a light. I was in the left hand lane of 2 lanes that can turn left. The light turned green and the car started going & immediately turned a hard right at which point I grabbed the steering wheel and hit the brakes. It was so close that the driver next to me waved his hand with the "wtf" look and expression. And it almost turned into a road rage incident. Been on fsd for a year. Love it. But this was the first time after probably 10k miles on fsd where I felt it was gonna hit something. It wouldn't have hurt anyone but definitely would have been a lot of damage.

Upvote 0