Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions best 3-4 season tire for range and quiet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize this has had some discussion, but not much that I can find that focuses on these 2 attributes(efficiency and noise level). I’ve seen some EV specific tires, but not much for 19 inch. Goodyear ElectricDrive GT is now available, but no reviews and the marketing materials focus more on noise than efficiency. So, would love to hear from people who’ve had real word experience with various possibilities when replacing the OEMs. I was going to get the Michelin CrossClimate 2s, but several are reporting a significant loos in range.

The OE 255/45R-19 Procontact RX tire with ContiSilent treatment (foam insert) is listed on TireRack.com as an Ecofocus tire.

According to TireRack, Tires with an eco-focus are designed to conserve natural resources through methods such as improved fuel economy, long tread life and environmentally-conscious manufacturing techniques.

My experience with Michelin EnergySaver A/S Eco-focus tires on the 2017 Chevrolet Volt and now the Tesla OE Continental Procontact RX tires has convinced me is that you can't achieve good traction (especially good wet and cold weather traction, performance in snow) and good efficiency in the same tire.

Among other things Eco-focus tires use harder rubber compounds for improved rolling efficiency, longer wear. The grip of the Eco-focus tire suffers, especially in lower temperatures.

Summer performance tires have much improved grip over Eco-focus tires, grand touring or all-season tires but they wear quickly. Winter tires are like that too. Winter tires are made with different rubber compounds that remain pliable in lower temperatures and special tread patterns for driving on snow and ice but they wear quickly when driven on pavement.

Driven normally, not pushed to their limits Eco-focus tires can be a good choice as these tires typically improve efficiency by ~8% over a non Eco-focus tire. The downside is the rubber compound used in the Eco-focus tire is hard, turns harder at low temperatures. For this and other reasons Eco-focus tires perform worse than all-season tires in winter driving.

I remain hopeful that someday tire manufacturers will be able to produce a tire with the efficiency of an Eco-focus design and the traction of an all-season tire in winter. It will be interesting to read user feedback reports on the performance and efficiency of the new Goodyear ElectricDrive GT tire on the Tesla Model Y.

Last edited:
I have Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 XL my Model Y. They are quiet and I have not noticed a large range loss. I have Michelin Pilot 4S on the Model 3. Both tires are fairly quiet.

this site has good reviews of tires.

Last edited: