Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions on Pilot Super Sport sources for new Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matt_D

Model S Plaid 2021, Model X 2019
Sep 3, 2012
Mountain View, CA
My refreshed Model S has Pilot Super Sport tires -- they're great, except they aren't available it seems anywhere, including from Tesla.

I'm being told by Tesla service at some locations that they aren't even in the parts catalog, even though they were the OEM equipment. I'm being told by others that they have restricted availability?

Any suggestions on leads for the tire for the greater SF Bay Area? Or alternatively, recommendations for alternate tires?

My refreshed Model S has Pilot Super Sport tires -- they're great, except they aren't available it seems anywhere, including from Tesla.

I'm being told by Tesla service at some locations that they aren't even in the parts catalog, even though they were the OEM equipment. I'm being told by others that they have restricted availability?

Any suggestions on leads for the tire for the greater SF Bay Area? Or alternatively, recommendations for alternate tires?

Michelin makes better tires. And a quick search shows they are available at Tire Rack. Probably cheaper there, too. Have them ship them to you, or to any, as in Any, tire installer. Tesla does not have any magic when it comes to installing and balancing tires. "My" tire shop will install, balance, and lifetime rotate four tires for $100. Tire Rack's Price, plus shipping, often saves hundreds of dollars over buying them at a regular tire store, or even Costco, and especially Tesla. I usually wait until Tire Rack has a sale, about Sept/Oct, when everyone is buying winter tires, or mud and snow tires. Stick em in your garage and save more! Only I live in CA, and we don't have "winter".

Has anyone tried the 285/30-21 on the rear. Michelin makes the pilot super sport in that size and it seems to be readily available.
I ordered my Model S with 19 inch wheels that I plan to use for winter tires. I will buy 20 or 21 inch for summer. I really want Michelin pilot super sports. I like the look of a fully filled wheel well; therefore, I want the largest tires that will fit. Does anyone know the largest size 20 and 21 inch tire that will fit on the front and rear? I was hoping someone had experience with the 255/40-20 on the front. The ones made for porsche have a 10 inch tread width. If they would fit there would't be much advantage to a staggered fitment at least with respect to overall traction. I would like to use those. If you could list your wheel specs-especially offset that would be helpful.
Thanks

Yes, I am staggered. I don't have a pic handy that shows the difference. They sit perhaps 1/8-1/4" more proud of the rim, which is a good thing. The diameter is the same, being that they are 30's and not 35's. They don't sling anything against the rear fender, which was a concern of mine. I have not noticed any range difference, though I expect there is a little bit. I'm too lead-footed to care, to be honest. I've never had a range problem.

I went with the 285's in the rear because Hankook doesn't have a 275. I have not noticed an increase in grip because the Michi's were so grippy. For me these last about the same as the Michi's, which is a disappointment. But they are a lot cheaper and handle just great for my mountain driving. I drive fast. But I'm not a racer, by any means. I think the rear might break a bit easier now. But I'm on my second set now (yes, THREE sets of rears in 25K!), so I can't really compare at this point. They felt the same or a little less prone to break out when I first got them, as I recall. They are a little quieter, but get noisier as they wear, as with all tires of this type.

To me, they look essentially the same as the standard fitment and I think it's a nice looking sidewall.

When Conti comes out with this fitment in the Silents, I will give them a try. Can't wait, actually.

Reactions: bradhs
I'd really like to see what looks like, maybe an angle short of the rim then the tire.

Why not get the PSS's in 285?

I've had the Conti's in 275 on the rear of my previous P85+. Great tire until you get to 50% tread. It gets louder and loses some of its grip.

Yes, I am staggered. I don't have a pic handy that shows the difference. They sit perhaps 1/8-1/4" more proud of the rim, which is a good thing. The diameter is the same, being that they are 30's and not 35's. They don't sling anything against the rear fender, which was a concern of mine. I have not noticed any range difference, though I expect there is a little bit. I'm too lead-footed to care, to be honest. I've never had a range problem.

I went with the 285's in the rear because Hankook doesn't have a 275. I have not noticed an increase in grip because the Michi's were so grippy. For me these last about the same as the Michi's, which is a disappointment. But they are a lot cheaper and handle just great for my mountain driving. I drive fast. But I'm not a racer, by any means. I think the rear might break a bit easier now. But I'm on my second set now (yes, THREE sets of rears in 25K!), so I can't really compare at this point. They felt the same or a little less prone to break out when I first got them, as I recall. They are a little quieter, but get noisier as they wear, as with all tires of this type.

To me, they look essentially the same as the standard fitment and I think it's a nice looking sidewall.

When Conti comes out with this fitment in the Silents, I will give them a try. Can't wait, actually.

Reactions: CHG-ON
I'd really like to see what looks like, maybe an angle short of the rim then the tire.

Why not get the PSS's in 285?

I've had the Conti's in 275 on the rear of my previous P85+. Great tire until you get to 50% tread. It gets louder and loses some of its grip.
Happy to, once I clean the car, next weekend, I'll post. Tires look like s--t right now! The Pilots are so much more expensive. Though I'm not fully up on the pricing right now. I'll definitely be shopping when replacing this late fall. Thanks for the info on the Conti's. Were your's Silents?

Hey @bradhs,

So I had to zip up to SFO today to take a friend for a flight to Australia (lucky bastard) and I noticed just how loud my Hankooks have gotten. They are down to about 25% tread. I know if I switched to 20's or 19's, they would be quieter. But I just can't do it!

Self-inflicted wound anybody?!

The last time I shopped, they didn't have Conti silents in the sizes I want: 245 front, 285 (I'd do 275's) rear. Looks like they do now. So I am thinking of taking the plunge. Unfortunately, the Conti site doesn't clearly state that the 5P's are silents. Frustrating. So I have work to do.

I'm not sure why they are so hard to find. But it increases my resolve to find them!

Photos this weekend. I promise!

PSS has a 255/40-20 NO(porsche) that has a 10 inch tread width. I have been told that will fit on the front. Has anyone tried these or any other 255's on the front for that matter? 265 on the front and 285 on the rear would be awesome if they would fit.

just put PSS (245/21's all round) on from mfr fit Contisilents worn out at 20K miles and no Contis in stock anywhere in the country!

exactly as expected

Better steering feel, slightly better ride quality, huge traction - much improved over the Contis and a lovely progressive breakaway when you do get a bit ahem enthusiastic.

but

Noise is bad. The "PSS drone" (as experienced on an RS5 previously) is there with a vengeance.
You can literally feel the vibration buzz though the steering wheel.
General road noise is much higher too.

My previous experience is that this does wear in some but will not go away.

So think carefully before buying imho.
Consider the tradeoff between the best performance/handling vs the extra noise/drone at all times.

and the best/worst bit is that they will last 50% longer than the Contis.

I'm going to have to try really hard to wear them out soonest.
...should be fun :)

FYI, I just ordered a set of 245 and 265 Michelin Super Sports from the TireRack.com. They are not showing up on the website yet but they expect to receive a delivery on Oct 1 and you can place a pre-order that will be released when they arrive. One of their sales guys Mason at 888-353-5082 x4692 and he knows the situation and can place the order.

Its interesting to note that these new ones are special for Tesla with acoustic foam inside.