Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer tires are less noisy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a whole lot that goes into tire noise. But generally more texture on the tire produces more noise. Summer tires have less texture/tread so they make less noise. There are some fascinating videos about this on YouTube. Including the science behind varying the tread pattern to reduce road noise.

Reactions: pikeman and enemji
Agreed with can't generalize. Summer and allseason both encompass a huge range of tire noise levels.

The last summer tires I ran on our Model 3 were noiser than its current allseasons. But I could cherrypick comparisons where the reverse is true. It really depends on the specific tires.

All the summer tires we've tested are noisier than their all-season counterparts. Not to mention the really low treadwear ones kick up a lot of rocks.
It's emphasized in the cabin due to the lack of motor noises.

-Danny
What was the dB difference, are we talking like 1 or 5? And I agree about kick up, my summer ones sound like I'm shaking a tin can full of rocks on some of the roads near me, my mudguards are doing some heavy lifting o_O. I didn't realise all season would reduce that.

Reactions: enemji
What was the dB difference, are we talking like 1 or 5? And I agree about kick up, my summer ones sound like I'm shaking a tin can full of rocks on some of the roads near me, my mudguards are doing some heavy lifting o_O. I didn't realise all season would reduce that.
Dependent on the tire in comparison. These are natural characteristic trade-offs. The stickier the compound, the more it's "glued" to the road, therefore picking up rocks and debris along with making more noises.

-Danny

How about Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs Michelin Primacy MXM4?
@enemji Those two should have a clear, obvious difference in stickiness at warmer temperatures (above freezing at least). MXM4 are pretty terrible for grip and performance, even compared to many allseasons. PS4S is a well regarded "max performance" summer tire, the top category of street-focused performance tires.

(I have firsthand experience with the MXM4 and with PS4S competitors + predecessor.)

Last edited:
@enemji This is what a max performance tire looks like after a short neighborhood driving (Bridgestone Potenza Sport 245/45R18 on 2021 M3P). MXM4 don't pick up debris like this. 😉

Note again, "max performance" is just the max street tire category. Track day and racing tires get even stickier! (in their operating temp range)

max_performance_tire_sticky_rubber.jpg

Reactions: MODEL+
@enemji Those two should have a clear, obvious difference in stickiness at warmer temperatures (above freezing at least). MXM4 are pretty terrible for grip and performance, even compared to many allseasons. PS4S is a well regarded "max performance" summer tire, the top category of street-focused performance tires.

(I have firsthand experience with the MXM4 and with PS4S competitors + predecessor.)
Thanks but I was looking for road noise comparison between the two.