Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons unrelable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My garage is a tight fit. I depend on summons to back the car out and return. It has been flaky ever since I got the car in 2018 (a model 3 LR). I know the app has to be active on the IPhone to work, and bluetooth has to be enabled.
But yesterday I could do nothing with the app to get the car to back out. I tried three different phones, all with bluetooth enabled and the app active, confirm it wasn't my phone. Finally had to shimmy in and use key card to move car.
I have had service check my sensors, and they are all working. In this particular case of backing out, I was at least 15 inches from the nearest adjacent object. I could lock/unlock doors, honk horn, turn on lights, enable seat heating or AC, open trunk, etc. but I could not back out!
Overall my experience has been very erratic with backing up, but almost zero problem with driving in. I'm totally frustrated with this 'beta' feature. All service would say was that it's beta code still.

What are other folks experiences? Any tips?

It is flaky for both of my Teslas as well. I don’t use often but at times it is convenient for my garage. But it often cuts out — or won’t connect at all — and often doesn’t center the second car next to the first one. I don’t bother using it if both stalls are empty as it wanders around without any apparent target. (BTW I am talking about the original Summon not the enhanced version for parking lots etc. I would never use that toy.)

My experience is that the car can usually back out just fine, but it absolutely refuses to pull in. It seems horribly afraid of the side opening of the garage door and wants to pull WAY clear of it, directly towards my wife's car in the adjacent bay (it doesn't actually do that...it turns the wheels, sees the car and then simply refuses to move).

Now keep in mind that your summon feature needs a good cell connection to work (not sure if it will work over WiFi or not). It does not use Bluetooth. So if you were experiencing cellular/WiFi issues at the time (with either your carrier or Tesla's), then it will not work.

I find it is intermittent IF I am on the edge of WiFi range (i.e. outside my house, or in the work parking lot).

Works MUCH more reliably if I turn off WiFi in those situations. Would be the same in any other place where I have WiFi connected, but on the edge of reception.

Does work with WiFi as long as the signal/latency/reliability is good.

Humm. Two contradicting comments here - who is correct: does it use cellular or wifi? I will do some experiments.

Will use whatever data connection your phone is connected to. The app doesn't get to choose, the phone does.
If connected to a bad WiFi, it will try to use that data connection and fail.

It doesn't use point-to-point Bluetooth to the car.
(If it the phone was connected using a Bluetooth DUN to something for data connection, then it would use that, but not to the car, which doesn't support Bluetooth DUN).

Humm. Two contradicting comments here - who is correct: does it use cellular or wifi? I will do some experiments.

I never said it didn't use WiFi, I only said it didn't use Bluetooth.

And definitely the phone end can use WiFi. I just wasn't sure whether the car itself used WiFi/LTE or exclusively LTE for summon. Either way, I think the point is that you need a good signal.