Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunken/Recessed Doorhandles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of another model 3 performance last month and it had quite a few body panel alignment issues. Our first model 3 had some similar issues and they were mostly all resolved without issue.

That said, the new one has an issue our first one did not-- the rear door handles are deeply sunken into their respective sockets. They aren't even close to being flush with the door panel. Looks like crap.

I know that some people have had the little stopper thing fall out which causes one side of the handle to sink in, but on mine the entire handle is sunken in equally around the entire perimeter. The Tesla advisor who helped me take delivery said the service center could fix them no problem. Because they were able to adjust the paneling on our first M3 to my satisfaction, I believed him.

Fast forward to a couple days before my service appointment. I get a text from Tesla stating that the door handle is a known issue and that there's no fix for it and they'll do a recall when they can. I probably wouldn't have taken delivery of it if I knew there were things wrong with it that couldn't be fixed. I'm patient, I could've waited for one that didn't have these issues. I feel like Tesla misrepresented the nature of the problem to me, and, by the time they told me they couldn't fix it after all, it was too late to return the car.

Anyway. Has anyone else had a similar issue? If so, are there any fixes that worked for you?

Photos - Sunken Model 3 Door Handle

• Informative
Reactions: Carolina Karl
I took delivery of another model 3 performance last month and it had quite a few body panel alignment issues. Our first model 3 had some similar issues and they were mostly all resolved without issue.

That said, the new one has an issue our first one did not-- the rear door handles are deeply sunken into their respective sockets. They aren't even close to being flush with the door panel. Looks like crap.

I know that some people have had the little stopper thing fall out which causes one side of the handle to sink in, but on mine the entire handle is sunken in equally around the entire perimeter. The Tesla advisor who helped me take delivery said the service center could fix them no problem. Because they were able to adjust the paneling on our first M3 to my satisfaction, I believed him.

Fast forward to a couple days before my service appointment. I get a text from Tesla stating that the door handle is a known issue and that there's no fix for it and they'll do a recall when they can. I probably wouldn't have taken delivery of it if I knew there were things wrong with it that couldn't be fixed. I'm patient, I could've waited for one that didn't have these issues. I feel like Tesla misrepresented the nature of the problem to me, and, by the time they told me they couldn't fix it after all, it was too late to return the car.

Anyway. Has anyone else had a similar issue? If so, are there any fixes that worked for you?

Photos - Sunken Model 3 Door Handle

Try to turn it back in. See what happens.

I would actually help you if you lived in the Chicagoland area, but unfortunately you live "Somewhere". I don't live there. lol

if the Tesla delivery person told you it could be fixed by the SC and then the SC told you it can't be fixed, I would imagine they'd have to take the car back. You can make the case that if the delivery person would have told you it was not fixable then you would not have accepted the car to begin with.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
If you look on ebay and search, you can see pics of the door handle assembly for the Model 3. Is the SC saying the door handle assembly is at fault ? Is there a different SC you can try ?

They haven't been able to articulate what they think the issue is to me; they've just said (via text and in-person) that it's a known issue and that there's no known fix for it yet. I can try to press them though. I'm in Phoenix and I usually go to the University Ave service center, but I think there's one up in Scottsdale as well.

Try to turn it back in. See what happens.

I would actually help you if you lived in the Chicagoland area, but unfortunately you live "Somewhere". I don't live there. lol

Like, try to return it?

I'm in Phoenix by the way, haha.

My LR AWD (March 2020) has slightly sunken rear door handles. I have a SC visit booked for another problem and I will has the techncian about that. Does nto look as far in as the pictures you have shown - I would guess 3mm on my car.

Let me know what they say!

if the Tesla delivery person told you it could be fixed by the SC and then the SC told you it can't be fixed, I would imagine they'd have to take the car back. You can make the case that if the delivery person would have told you it was not fixable then you would not have accepted the car to begin with.

It's probably too late by now, but I'll give it a shot. I did have the guy at the delivery center put in the complaint at the time of pickup, so it should be on record.

So Tesla SC came out on Friday. Called out because the rear number plate rattled badly and while examining this a small pack of screws fell out from behind it. So I called the SC and complained. Anyway the chap fixed that up well.

I then showed him the sunken rear door handle. The answer - we can fix that but you have to pay for the time taken. This is a cosmetic repair and oyu have only the first 100 miles with the car to register cosmetic issues! I was a bit gobsmacked by that - we did the first 100 miles taking the family out the first day I had the car without really looking it over in such detail. Tesla should highlight that in their handover presentation.

There should also be a Check List for new owners published here (and by Tesla) of known cosmetic issues.

Anyway the guy from the SC had a spare rear door handle and he showed this to me. There is a small plastic upstand around the fixing bolts. To make the handle flush you have to file these down and the handle moves outwards when installed. He then showed me how to take the door panel off - said it was very easy! But I have not done that as my car is not too bad.

My similar experience in RI with what would have been our second model 3: I noticed recessed rear handles when taking delivery. Was told then that it was a minor effort to adjust, so I signed off. In two subsequent SC visits was told that the fix was risky, involving adding spacers and then later told they would not make the fix. I returned on day 7 for a refund.

Reactions: Chemios
So Tesla SC came out on Friday. Called out because the rear number plate rattled badly and while examining this a small pack of screws fell out from behind it. So I called the SC and complained. Anyway the chap fixed that up well.

I then showed him the sunken rear door handle. The answer - we can fix that but you have to pay for the time taken. This is a cosmetic repair and oyu have only the first 100 miles with the car to register cosmetic issues! I was a bit gobsmacked by that - we did the first 100 miles taking the family out the first day I had the car without really looking it over in such detail. Tesla should highlight that in their handover presentation.

There should also be a Check List for new owners published here (and by Tesla) of known cosmetic issues.

Anyway the guy from the SC had a spare rear door handle and he showed this to me. There is a small plastic upstand around the fixing bolts. To make the handle flush you have to file these down and the handle moves outwards when installed. He then showed me how to take the door panel off - said it was very easy! But I have not done that as my car is not too bad.

Did they say how much will it cost to fix it

Thank you

I have a same issue on my M3 driver side of rear door. I was searching for the reason and finally found it. It's sunken issues wasn't related with handle assembly part. Actually, the door handel was was attached on the another inner panel, and reveal the chrome parts through the outer panel hole what we see it. The problem is the inner panel was attached on the outer pander's inside by the epoxy glue. If those glue are thicker than the normal, then the gap will increased between outer panel and inner panel. At that case, the door handle surface is going further from the outside of outer panel surface. Eventually, it was happend the sunken in issues what you described it. (please take a look what I attached the image about how to attached (the rear door inside's configuration) the outer panel with inner panel for assemble the door handle parts.

So, I think the easiest way to fix it is slightly cutting the bolting hole area for door handle parts to make a thinner, and then it will be getting close with outer panel surface.
44692BEE-50C7-4D44-B565-E75BD3CA1F10.jpeg