Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof motor location!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all!

I have a 2012 model s signature and I think the sunroof motor went bad, whenever I open it it just makes load clicking sounds and doesn’t slide open! I took off the head liner to search for the motors and I can’t find them! Any idea where they might be?

Hey all!

I have a 2012 model s signature and I think the sunroof motor went bad, whenever I open it it just makes load clicking sounds and doesn’t slide open! I took off the head liner to search for the motors and I can’t find them! Any idea where they might be?
Under the dash on the outboard edge, directly in line with the bottom of the A pillars. The left one is just to the left of the radio tuner. Surprisingly easy to get to. I had mine out in about twenty minutes having never done it before.

Reactions: rickyjb
Thanks for the pics! They came out great! Getting that amp out was a pain!
Hello Oldtes and Glmnalyaircar

Have you successfully closed the sunroof manually?

I live on an Island in Denmark with no Tesla Service Center around.
My MCU is DARK! My Sunroof is open!

As I understand there is a sunroofmotor/Acuator in both sides. Is i possible to close it manually?

Thank you for any help

Hello Oldtes and Glmnalyaircar

Have you successfully closed the sunroof manually?

I live on an Island in Denmark with no Tesla Service Center around.
My MCU is DARK! My Sunroof is open!

As I understand there is a sunroofmotor/Acuator in both sides. Is i possible to close it manually?

Thank you for any help
Good Morning! I haven't needed to fully close it manually, but I would think that if you disconnect both motors, you should be able to pull/push it closed using both cables. It seems you would need a few helpers; one to push on the glass as the others apply guide the cables.

Again, I haven't tried doing this but this is how I would proceed. Let me know how this works out.

I let you know! The car need a MCU upgrade anyway - so if Tesla is flexible and I can get to them on a sunny day thats what I do. But so far you are the only one where I found information about reaching the motors. Any chance you still have and can forward the pics you send to Oldtes? I think i get it from your description but pictures say more than words......anyway thank you for your suggestion about disconnecting the motors. Have a nice day/or evening

Some info collected - dropping it here for archiving:

Reddit comment: I’ll tell you from experience building these cars on the line, that part is one of the worst to install even without anything in the car. Cables are hand feed through the copper tube you see running up the left side which connects to the sunroof and does the pulling and opening action. These parts are installed when the car is an empty shell, and even then its a bitch. The bolts they use to hold the motor in are really long, about 3 inches, so its almost impossible to remove with the dashboard still in. The rivnets they bolt too also like to pop off from the sheet metal if you crossthread or even just push on them. Poorly engineered design…but it leads to a beautifully aesthetic panoramic sunroof 🤷🏼‍♂️

Source: 5 year factory trained repair technician, 3 year assembler on the line.

reddit comment: Pull that big plug off and undo 3 tx30 screws, two in the front and one in the back way up there. Then you can move the box (stereo amplifier) aside and have enough room to remove the motor for the sunroof. It's not that bad of a job if you're a little bit flexible. When you're done, cycle the roof all the way back and forth a couple of times to calibrate the motors.