Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof Vents when Opening the Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SmartSelect_20230901_094758_Tesla.jpg

This release contains minor improvements and bug fixes. Just not this bug fix.

Hey Sunroofers, has this this issue finally been resolved?

It just occurred to me that I haven't had the sunroof issue lately. I just tested this twice by walking out to the car and testing. I waited 10 minutes in-between tests and no auto-venting occurred. This is a very repeatable issue and it does not seem to be happening now.

My test is to let the car detect keyfob and unlock while walking up. Then I simply open the door and the sunroof would vent. But it did not vent in the two tests I tried. Also confirmed that the sunroof is still set to the right scroll wheel.

Can anyone else confirm?

My car - 2017 MS - Software 2023.32.7

Hey Sunroofers, has this this issue finally been resolved?

It just occurred to me that I haven't had the sunroof issue lately. I just tested this twice by walking out to the car and testing. I waited 10 minutes in-between tests and no auto-venting occurred. This is a very repeatable issue and it does not seem to be happening now.

My test is to let the car detect keyfob and unlock while walking up. Then I simply open the door and the sunroof would vent. But it did not vent in the two tests I tried. Also confirmed that the sunroof is still set to the right scroll wheel.

Can anyone else confirm?

My car - 2017 MS - Software 2023.32.7
Well perhaps not. I didn't think I spoke too soon because I was unable to repeat the issue, which was very repeatable prior. However, in the last couple days I've walked out to find my sunroof vented, and I also witnessed the sunroof vent upon opening the doors after using the keyfob to unlock. This is a new condition. Prior, the venting would only happen if I used "walk up unlock" method to get in car. Now even using the FOB may cause the sunroof to vent...but the condition less consistent than it was prior. /SMH

I can't WAIT till it starts raining and I find my sunroof vented without knowing it.

The issue went away for about three months, then came back a lot worse with 2023.38.6 and the release just prior. I'd say it now occurs every other time the car unlocks, typically just a vent this time of year but occasionally closing a roof I had intentionally left open during a short stop.

This just happened to my 2015 Model S 85D. On Saturday 11/25 I had a mobile repair were they replaced both steering wheel switches and harness (P/N 1013242-00-K $220 parts, $99 Labor). The first time I woke up the car after he left, my sunroof vented to 12%. That's what I have my right scroll press down button assigned too. Happened today every time after waking up, 4 times and counting.

After he did the repair, he put the car in service mode and had a the office push an update. I was surprised to see that I now have V.11 2022.8.10.16. I have my car on Advanced Software Updates and get one ever 1-2 months so not sure why they pushed an old one. It's saying I have the latest. Who knows.

Seems like it should be an easy software fix. Has any one gotten an update that fixes this?

I was surprised to see that I now have V.11 2022.8.10.16. I have my car on Advanced Software Updates and get one ever 1-2 months so not sure why they pushed an old one. It's saying I have the latest. Who knows.
As yours is MCU1 car and this is the most recent one. That SW version reported earlier is on car’s with MCU2. I’m surprised to see that you have this on the older car, I also use the right scroll wheel for sunroof. And I have MCU1 also.

Last night I pulled in around 2% SOC, set the limit to 73% and timed it for when rates would be around $0.03/kWh. Sunroof was shut, departure was set for 7:15 this morning. Around 6:45 I got a notification that the sunroof wasn't fully closed.

I'm only noting this incident because it marked the first time I knew of that the bug triggered while I was not directly interfacing with the car. It may have closed an open roof on its own in the past, but if so I wasn't paying attention.

I don't know how sleep status informs on this issue, and I can't provide data points there because I can't tell if my car has slept in years- the last sleep teslafi registered was on 3/16/2022, right before I installed version 2022.8.2. I'm currently on version 2023.38.9.

I've never seen the issue on my MCU1 60 with 2022.8.10.16.

!!! Found a Fix !!!
I made an appointment at Tesla Burlingame (50 Edwards Ct, Burlingame, CA 94010) last Tuesday Nov 28, with the expectation that I would report the bug that would be it. The service rep confirmed the roof opening when the MCU wakes up (after 5 min to sleep) and went to talk with the technicians. He came back and said they have an expert technician on our model S type, and he would like to give ia go at finding a fix. They gave me a 2023 Model 3 loaner and I wished them good luck. They started the repair on Thursday and on Sunday morning, Dec 3rd, I got a message that they have a fix, it requires replacing the air bag assembly. The technician used a known good Model S air bag assembly and tested that the sunroof bug goes away. I authorized the repair in the app and picked it up this morning (Monday Dec 4th)

It's not a cheap fix but it does work. Total cost was $623.23 (Part $525.00, Labor $47.70, Tax $50.53). The Air Bag Assembly part is listed on the invoice as "NAR, DAB ASSY,PAINTED -HEATED(1036778-00-C)" I think there is a different version if you don't have a heated steering wheel. It's basically everything but air bag & the steering wheel controls (that were replaced). All the visible silver and black plastic parts are new, even the steering wheel cover (see photo). Sure enough, the bug is gone now.

I'm pretty sure that this is bug is a miss match between the new steering Control Switch Harness and the original Air Bag Assembly. The replacement switches they put in are part # 1013242-00-K while my original was part # 1013242-00-E (6 revs later?). The replacement air bag assembly is 1036778-00-C while my original was -00-A (2 revs before?). On my photo of the old scroll wheel, it also showed "Software V29+V2" so maybe that has something to do with it. I did not get a photo of the new one.

Here are 3 photos from the switch repair on 11/25 and 1 photo of what the wheel looks like today, 12/4, with the new air bag assembly and cover. I hope this will help others with the same bug.

IMG_3519.jpg
IMG_3520.jpg
IMG_3523.jpg
IMG_3628.jpg

@scronce

I wasn't initially sure how I wanted to reply to your post but let me first just say 'thank you'. On the one hand, we have new info that hopefully will result in Tesla recognizing that a fix is possible and that their own mismatch parts/software is the cause.

On the other hand, you found a fix that works for you. Personally I won't pursue this fix option but this definitely gets us all one step closer to the answer.

My sunroof issues have gotten worse with new software updates. For me the problem only used to present when I approached the car and opened a door. Now it presents when I check the car through the app. I have found my sunroof open multiple mornings and a few times after light rain. I finally switched the function to a different option because I don't want to get into a wet car or damage the car.

I had my airbag assembly replaced under warranty as one of the steps in our troubleshooting. For me it didn't work. They wanted to keep trying other parts to "see if it works", and those parts started costing money. At that point I said "no thanks" and they agreed. Your fix looks similar but maybe it's different somehow.

Again, thank you for posting. Where I in your shoes, I'd be asking for my $$ back but it may not be worth the time it would take.