Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Annapolis MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove by Sunday. Getting out of that garage is always busy from the light. I was always surprised they put the chademo in a spot so tight Tesla’s can’t fit. they should also install a dozen HPWC’s around since the WHole Foods is busy now. There’s going to be a lot of etiquette issues with residents and diners/shoppers leaving cars parked until they are done whatever they are doing.

Update 7 June: The install work has paused while the pavement is being pressure washed to remove oil stains and the original painted parking lines. Drilling the floor again. They are increasing the size of the floor access holes. New holes are closer to 3 inch.

I heard the Condo manager state the Towne Centre is planning to add additional (non-Tesla) chargers in another area.

Update 11 June: Contractors digging into utility service area, just outside the parking structure. Plugged original holes in the 2nd level floor. Also started to attach conduit pipes to ceiling of 1st floor.
June 11 dig.JPG June 11 new holes.JPG June 11 Conduit.JPG

Update 12 June: The power will be brought (underground) from across the street, which has the local transformer. The power company plans to upgrade their transformer to higher capacity. This week they are digging & drilling to install the underground pipe. Likely to take a while. When the utility has completed their power cable routing, the Tesla and the SquareD cabinets will be moved outside, to the parking garage corner.
Meanwhile, the conduit inside the parking structure has been extended to the first two floor holes. The pedestal floor brackets have been bolted to the second level floor. (having problems attaching image files)
underground pipes & equipment.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Bill H for your photos, and joining the updates. Welcome to the forum. It's exciting to see the progress.
Just a note: I was cautioned by one of the contractors to not offer a date, as there are several other tasks they do not have control over (inspections being approved, Utility company finishing their transformer upgrades, other contractors getting the related work done). Hopefully it will all complete as quickly as this team is doing.
The conduit pipes on the first floor ceiling were extended to the first 5 of the 8 Tesla pedestals. All of the mounting bases are secured to the floor. As Bill H shows above, the first pedestal is assembled (but not electrically connected). It looks great.
First pedestal in place.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
June 17 update: Last several days the work has been installing the underground pipes, from the transformer to the corner of the parking garage. On Friday they also poured the concrete pad for the SquareD and Tesla electrical cabinets. You can see the pipes extending above the concrete, next to where the cabinets will be located. There are other pipes underground to take the cables from the Tesla cabinets to the parking garage junction box. It seems this is all mechanical work, preparing for the electricians (someday).
pipe stubs.JPG New pad.JPG conduit box.JPG 8 pipes toward conduit box..JPG

Attachments

• New pad.JPG
    New pad.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
June 21 update: All 8 pedestal bases now have cables pulled from the junction box. Still needs the cables installed from junction box to the outside Tesla cabinets.
Charging pedestal bases cabled.JPG

All 4 Tesla cabinets are bolted to cement pad, but the pad looks to be a few inches too small on one side. Setting up another form box to pour additional concrete. 3rd and 4th cabinets are being installed this evening.
Tesla cabinets mounted.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
June 22 update: First 6 pedestals partially assembled. Ready for wire termination.
First 6 pedestals being assembled.JPG pedestal ready for wire termination.JPG

Cement pad extended. Cables pulled from junction box thru outside/underground conduits, to Tesla cabinets.
Ready for termination at the 4 Tesla cabinets.
cables from cabinet to pedestals.JPG
No evidence of cables being pulled from the local power transformer to these cabinets. Pipes have been installed underground. Just no cables pulled yet. The install speed has been encouraging. Most days had 2 workers. A couple days 3-4 workers.

VIsited last evening and am having a hard time reconciling what I saw with the photos of installed pedestals above. Did something go awry? I see the cabinets outside the garage, but only a small space with some odds and ends fenced off inside the garage.

IMG_0514.jpg IMG_0515.jpg IMG_0516.jpg IMG_0517.jpg

Stopped by early this morning. Actual chargers are located on what I call 2nd floor, and what is marked as level one. the 8 chargers are all pull-in, and all slightly angled; 6 of 8 seemed(mostly) ready). Did not see any power cables from the mains to the ground floor boxes outside the parking garage, but some cables were pulled up to the "first floor" chargers.20180626_084939.jpg

Attachments

• 20180626_085014.jpg
    20180626_085014.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Informative
Reactions: Thinkje and Acps110
By Tuesday evening, the 7th and 8th pedestals are now "partially" assembled, and wires terminated inside pedestals 1-6. Part of the outer cover is still open. The wiring from the Tesla cabinets to the 8 pedestals is completed.The 7 & 8th pedestals still need their wire terminated.
Baltimore Gas & Electric still has several steps to work on. All the power before/to the meter is their domain. There is a new transformer needed across the street where the pipe stubs are located. They also have to pull the cables from that transformer area, across under the street and into the two SquareD cabinets. One cabinet will have the power meter and the other the circuit breakers. The 4 very short cabinets are for power conditioning. (buck-up/down transformers with voltage clipping. They make sure no more than 480 volts pass through to the Tesla cabinets. As mkors noted, BG&E is expected to start their work during first week of July.
There is still a while to go for BG&E to get the area for the new transformer (concrete pad) ready, transformer installed and the wiring installed. Then there is code inspection approval, etc.
VIsited last evening and am having a hard time reconciling what I saw with the photos of installed pedestals above. Did something go awry? I see the cabinets outside the garage, but only a small space with some odds and ends fenced off inside the garage.

View attachment 312313 View attachment 312314 View attachment 312315 View attachment 312316
Just drive up one more level. All the pedestals are on the second floor, above the area you noted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures guys. I like watching them get built, and seeing the progress.

Good thing there angling the spots. Gaithersburg SC is a little hard to pull in and out of being square.

BG&E will be the issue. The utilities are always the issue, given there internal bureaucracy. If you look at the springfield SC thread you'll see the SC's just sat there waiting on Dominion power.

Thanks for the pictures guys. I like watching them get built, and seeing the progress.

Good thing there angling the spots. Gaithersburg SC is a little hard to pull in and out of being square.

BG&E will be the issue. The utilities are always the issue, given there internal bureaucracy. If you look at the springfield SC thread you'll see the SC's just sat there waiting on Dominion power.
Laurel is the same as Gaithersburg...hard to get in and out. I really like the angled parking. I think Tesla is still tweaking their supercharger setups.