Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Batchawana Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like this Supercharger location is not going to happen. I received a reply from twitter acct Tesla Owners Ontario a few days a ago.

" We were told that the area doesn't have enough power to support a Supercharger. There are supposed to be dedicated HPWCs there but not sure if they are installed yet."

@MarcoRP, @Chuq , @BlueShift

Well that is bad news if it is True.
There really needs to be a SC on that stretch for people on HWY 17. But also for people with cabins back in the bush in that area.

I was really counting on a SC being in that area to reach our cabin with a CT.

Well that is bad news if it is True.
There really needs to be a SC on that stretch for people on HWY 17. But also for people with cabins back in the bush in that area.

I was really counting on a SC being in that area to reach our cabin with a CT.
The Tesla Supercharger Canada Manager was at our Tesla Owners Club of Ontario meeting. He spoke of the difficulties in setting up remote, rural sites. He specifically mentioned Batchawana Bay......They really tried to get this operational, but there was NO chance of getting 3 phase power to the site. There was little chance of anything between The Soo and Wawa.

As a stop-gap, Tesla is looking at setting up the Batchawana Bay site with several destination chargers (80 amps 240 volt). Not perfect, but it may get the needy enough charge to get north or south to a supercharger.

or better yet, why not install one of their mid or small size battery powerpacks like they wheeled in on a truck to service overrun superchargers over the holidays in Southern California. It could replenish itself on regular 240V and balance the local grid (which probably has some kind of diesel backup in such a remote place) while also charging random Tesla's that come through. Could even put a solar roof over it as the transcanada is going to be way busier with Teslas in the Summer months for some time.

There's another company distributing a similar type of battery device in Northern Ontario packaged in something that looks like 1/4 of a shipping container that has 2 or 3 dc fast chargers mounted to the exterior and is just connected to a local gas station's regular power to top up the internal battery.

EDIT - I couldn't find the posting on the mobile charger in the forums but found their facebook page. Jule energy. Here's a link to the photo from their facebook page:

Jule Energy

Last edited:
The Tesla Supercharger Canada Manager was at our Tesla Owners Club of Ontario meeting. He spoke of the difficulties in setting up remote, rural sites. He specifically mentioned Batchawana Bay......They really tried to get this operational, but there was NO chance of getting 3 phase power to the site. There was little chance of anything between The Soo and Wawa."

Which is somewhat ironic considering all the Hydroelectric infrastrucutre in the area. Like Montreal River.

Thanks for the info.
Good to know they are working on it.
Even a couple stalls at 100KW charge rates would make a night and day difference.

Reactions: MarcoRP
Not live yet and The voyageur staff said they’re just waiting on the crew to activate.
EBD5D738-EB4C-4B19-8381-7A4792654C04.jpeg

Since it is a commercial site (ie. not a residential 240V location), it is likely on a branch of 208V 3 phase.

There's only a single phase available on that road, though, which was one of the reasons cited for not being able to install a full supercharger. They'd only be getting 208 if there were two phases available from the grid.

It's pretty inconsequential because if 212v is all that's available then that's all there is, but a drop from 240v down to 212v under full load is quite a substantial drop!

I believe Tesla installed these HPWCs to help with the gap between the Soo and Wawa. They originally wanted to put a supercharger in at Batchwana Bay but the electrical infrastructure was not sufficient.
This makes me wonder about the prospect for SuperCharging for semi trucks. Would truck stops have the electrical infrastructure to be able to simultaneously charge 20-30 trucks? I assume the power requirement for each semi SuperCharger would likely be 4-5X vs existing SuperChargers. Is this going to be a constraint?