Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brownsville, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though I'm a realist for when superchargers are ready, it would be wonderful if this was completed this month.
We have to head that way in three weeks.
But I also know that multi week waits for transformers and inspections usually take much longer than that :rolleyes:
Especially true in the valley...everything is slower here it seems.

Reactions: Fuddinator
We took a little road trip today to see the progress on the superchargers. They appear almost ready to come online and according to the electrician I spoke with it could be as early as next week. Also, the new service center is looking pretty close too.

BF850BBB-FAD0-4C79-8CEE-49C9F18F3F28.jpeg5B23F8B0-7E45-4913-A141-4281CBB7CE47.jpegDB619844-A272-4757-87F2-2D48955D545D.jpeg088829CC-5F92-4308-A1C6-7E93C44D7605.jpeg
5B23F8B0-7E45-4913-A141-4281CBB7CE47.jpeg

just a thought - has anyone down there seen the transformer for the chargers.
Usually there is a transformer close to the supercharger cabinets and usually a meter as well.
Without those we may be further away from a working SC than first thought.

Usually there is a transformer close to the supercharger cabinets and usually a meter as well.

All the equipment looked to be in place. The electricians I saw working there seemed to be doing the final hookups. At least to my hopeful untrained eye that was the case. I didn’t bother taking a picture of the cabinets in the fenced area as I didn’t want to enter the work area.

Zoom in on images above. The meter is already there. Look in the middle of the row. From looking at the site it looks like 3 phase wiring

Reactions: Twiglett
Zoom in on images above. The meter is already there. Look in the middle of the row. From looking at the site it looks like 3 phase wiring
No, that meter and other stuff in the middle of the row isn't related to the supercharger. It was there prior to the build. The utility transformer pad is going over near the supercharger cabinets and the meter will likely be near that (or next to or inside the other cabinetry). But the stuff in the middle of the row of stalls isn't related. If you want to confirm this for yourself, a page of the construction plans are shown in the video that Brownsville sent Marco (linked in his post: here) starting around 00:47. I've circled it in the screenshot below. And earlier in the video you can clearly see that the electric meter and other stuff in the middle of the row there was prior existing on the site.

Brownsville_electric.JPG

O
No, that meter and other stuff in the middle of the row isn't related to the supercharger. It was there prior to the build. The utility transformer pad is going over near the supercharger cabinets and the meter will likely be near that (or next to or inside the other cabinetry). But the stuff in the middle of the row of stalls isn't related. If you want to confirm this for yourself, a page of the construction plans are shown in the video that Brownsville sent Marco (linked in his post: here) starting around 00:47. I've circled it in the screenshot below. And earlier in the video you can clearly see that the electric meter and other stuff in the middle of the row there was prior existing on the site.

View attachment 635047
oh ok

There definitely is a large green cabinet over there and another meter box. My angle of view doesn’t allow me to see whether there is a meter in the meter box. I don’t think there is.
The traffic here doesn’t encourage me to pull in to see for sure.
This morning traffic was lighter than normal. 100% was no meter in the box.

Is the traffic really so bad all the time, that it'll be hard to get in there to charge? The service center seems to be in a much better location!
Not usually. I go through there during rush hour and the road (Ruben Torres) is currently under construction right through there. And “traffic” is subjective. I have a low tolerance for traffic. My brother who lives in a large metroplex would laugh at the traffic I’m complaining about.

Edit: To be 100% fair, it should be noted that my #1 driving factor to buying a Tesla was my disdain for stopping at gas stations during my commute. (It may be absurd, but it’s true.)

Reactions: CarlS and byeLT4
Is the traffic really so bad all the time, that it'll be hard to get in there to charge? The service center seems to be in a much better location!

Since you are in Houston traffic, this is piddle! But, we in the Valley are not used to Houston traffic.

I used to ride my motorcycle up to Houston once a month to visit my daughter who was in grad school. Ride up on Saturday, eat dinner together, stay up late talking, then me back on the road Sunday morning. One week, I was southbound on I 69/US 59 near Bellaire when traffic came to a complete halt. No wreck - just heavy traffic. 7 am on a Sunday morning!

But now that she lives in San Francisco, she thinks Houston traffic is no big deal.

Come on down and watch Space X launches and enjoy!

When we stopped by to take the pictures the HEB parking lot was packed and the car wash was being used. My fear is the chargers will be ICEd frequently. Also, access may be an issue as there is not a lot of room between the chargers and the car wash building. Even so, it will be nice to have another supercharger available in the valley.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS
When we stopped by to take the pictures the HEB parking lot was packed and the car wash was being used. My fear is the chargers will be ICEd frequently. Also, access may be an issue as there is not a lot of room between the chargers and the car wash building. Even so, it will be nice to have another supercharger available in the valley.
That’s a very real possibility. Luckily it’s in the spots furthest from the HEB building entrance. Many people are crazy lazy here. Seriously I have coworkers that will sit in their car idling for 20-30mins waiting for a spot 50ft closer to the entrance...got a pic of the large green cabinet and meter box. There’s a guy out there laying sod....it’s about to freeze...and he’s laying sod...

mig they are ICEd you can bet it will be young HEB Employees

Attachments

• 03931768-7657-47C3-A9DA-A20335B78A70.jpeg
    03931768-7657-47C3-A9DA-A20335B78A70.jpeg
    579 KB · Views: 76
  • E0177D7C-C4B8-48AF-8F45-BA5774176B0E.jpeg
    E0177D7C-C4B8-48AF-8F45-BA5774176B0E.jpeg
    728.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Informative
Reactions: CarlS and mociaf9