Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clark, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marco found a permit for 12 stall supercharger site at the Holiday Inn located at 36 Valley Rd, Clark, NJ 07066.

A dig ticket was filed this morning for this site to install conduit for Tesla. Maybe they will finally be active.
1708626051972.png

Never having actually seen a Magic Dock before, the Clark location being relatively close, and having spare time, took a drive up there and took a look.

Parked nearby, walked up to an open stall, and, out of curiosity, unhooked the NACS cable - and the Magic Dock adapter came out with it!

Took a couple of pictures, nothing surprising:
IMG_1492.JPG
IMG_1493.JPG

Put it back in, tried unhooking it again, and, this time, the NACS came out but the adapter stayed put. 😁

More interestingly, a fellow actually charging next to where I was fiddling around came up and said, "What the heck is that?", at which point I explained about Magic Docks.

He then told me something was wrong and it was going to take him three hours (!) before he could go on his way. Some quick looking at his screen (state of charge: 7%) showed it charging at 30 kW, pretty low for a 250 kW Supercharger. Told him, "It's broken! Try a different stall!"

At which point he took my advice, went about five stalls down and around the corner and, ta-da! charging at 234 kW. And three minutes to go before he could leave for his destination 'way down south.

Apparently the Tesla NAV software routed him here rather than to the (somewhat further from the Garden State Parkway) WaWa down in Woodbridge. Which would've been fine, except for the low charge rate. Apparently, this is the first time this fellow's run into a dead, or partly dead, Supercharger stall.

I imagine Tesla will get to the malfunctioning ones sooner than later.

Reactions: cascivic
Decided to check out the new chargers here on my way home.... but they are indicated via signage as 'Hotel Parking' not EV parking (charging or not) and are mostly filled with non-EVs (11 available chargers, but parking spots are filled)
Interesting. When I was there, there were on the order of 7 or 8 empty stalls, but there was a SUV parked in one of them

I suspect that the hotel might have put those, "These are our private Superchargers! Nah Nah Nah, you have to stay here!" signs up. Somehow, I strongly suspect that that's not something that Tesla would allow.

Decided to check out the new chargers here on my way home.... but they are indicated via signage as 'Hotel Parking' not EV parking (charging or not) and are mostly filled with non-EVs (11 available chargers, but parking spots are filled)
I think those signs and light poles were preexisting to the supercharger? Therefore the signs would need to be changed. Tesla didn't invest in this installation for hotel guests only who are better served with L2 overnight charging.

Hmm. Might be that that parking lot around the hotel was abused by students at the local high school, a hundred yards down the road, hence the signs.

Can't think that it was abused by rail commuters: There's no stop within walking distance, I think.