Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger- Coral Gables, FL (Coconut Grove)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

There is a new Wawa now approved by Coral Gables zoning, to be located at the intersection of US 1 between Grand Avenue and Florida Avenue. There has been significant local controversy about this, but it has been approved. Building permits ahem not yet been issued although these will almost certainly be expedited to be completed before the current Coral Gables mayor completes is term and the City Council changes.

In the zoning plans submitted by Wawa they say:
"In addition, the project may provide Tesla charging stations on site."

https://www.coralgables.com/media/City Attorney/Opinions/2020/CAO 2020-003 Bahamian Village Site Plan.pdf

I had a conversation one this subject with an official in Coral Gables who said the Tesla inclusion was fully expected but is described as "...may provide..." because this application was fro zoning rather than permitting. Barring unforeseen problems it seems probable that this project will be completed by "late next summer, possibly earlier". The city definitely wants this project to be completed as soon as possible.

This location is a few blocks from the Coral Gables Tesla SC.
It will be a perfect stop for travelers on I95/US 1 between Miami and the Florida Keys. There are already four Superchargers within minutes of this one, but none are quite so convenient for travel along that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several building permits have been requested for this Wawa project and more regularly are being submitted. The master plan is here:
Permit
Nothing official has been submitted for the Tesla portion, nor is it expected for some time. My contacts say that the Tesla Superchargers are "expected" without any justification for that statement.

There are no permits thus far for a Supercharger at this location. Local Coral Gables sources claim that the expectation is for Tesla permits to be submitted sometime around June or July, once Wawa buildout nears completion. There are at other locations in Coral Gables that may compete with this location so nothing is firm yet. Those with long memories may really that Supercharger infrastructure was installed and pedestals delivered but not installed at the Coral Gables store and SC but were removed prior to opening. The posts and conduits are still there. So, until we see actual Pedestals installed I will not be certain that any CG location will actually happen. I'm sure I am not the only one who is trying to confirm the facts. The upcoming April city elections in Coral Gables might well shift the local priorities.

There are no permits thus far for a Supercharger at this location. Local Coral Gables sources claim that the expectation is for Tesla permits to be submitted sometime around June or July, once Wawa buildout nears completion. There are at other locations in Coral Gables that may compete with this location so nothing is firm yet. Those with long memories may really that Supercharger infrastructure was installed and pedestals delivered but not installed at the Coral Gables store and SC but were removed prior to opening. The posts and conduits are still there. So, until we see actual Pedestals installed I will not be certain that any CG location will actually happen. I'm sure I am not the only one who is trying to confirm the facts. The upcoming April city elections in Coral Gables might well shift the local priorities.
JC,

Yes, anything can happen.
The location of the Wawa in question is 280 S Dixie Hwy, Coral Gables, FL 33133. Correct?
A plumbing permit was issued on March 16, 2021, for the Wawa.
Permit
My sources say that the Wawa construction is on hold, but that Tesla still plans to proceed at that location.

Larry

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
JC,

Yes, anything can happen.
The location of the Wawa in question is 280 S Dixie Hwy, Coral Gables, FL 33133. Correct?
A plumbing permit was issued on March 16, 2021, for the Wawa.
Permit
My sources say that the Wawa construction is on hold, but that Tesla still plans to proceed at that location.

Larry

jbcarioca forwarded the following local news blog to me:

Coral Gables candidates focus on WaWa gas station settlement in schools forum

Coral Gables Wawa.jpg

Above is the proposed Wawa. It only would have 6 gas pumps and the number of parking spaces would be quite limited. There is overhead electric supply on the south side and I'm guessing that, if the Wawa is constructed, that Tesla would install the Supercharger Station along 8 parking spaces on the south side with the equipment going in the green space there.

Coral Gables Wawa 2.jpg

As the blog points out, the George Washington Carver Elementary School is literally across the street from the proposed Wawa.

Larry

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and MarcoRP
There is still a great deal of negotiation and political infighting over this project. Several decades ago it was intended to be for low-income housing, although precisely nothing ever happened. The community is largely in support for the project, but a small number fo very, very loud opponents are still very active. The largest single issue they raise is the sale of tobacco and alcohol across the street form the elementary school.

My last information is that the Superchargers are likely to have no opposition and that they are expected to run along the US1 border of the project. There is no building permit applied for but there are active negotiations. FWIW, the plot is already zoned for that kind of activity and is within the existing policy limits so it could happen without fanfare with or without the WAWA deal, and could precede the Wawa deal also.

The change in municipal politics is affecting this and many other projects. The heretofore quiet and efficient Coral Gables is now becoming a louder political place.