Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Phoenix, AZ - Downtown (speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there's no thread for this yet, I thought I'd kick it off.

Tesla's site shows another Supercharger coming to Phoenix in 2018 - the pin is downtown, but I assume that is just because it is the 'zero block' N/S/E/W and would be the pin for anything that would be marked "Phoenix, AZ". I had my 2016 Model S P90DL serviced here in Flagstaff and the service tech who made the appointment told me that there is something coming to downtown Phoenix soon... he seemed really certain of it but sheepishly wouldn't say anything... what the heck that means, I have no clue.... but if anyone knows anything, I'd greatly appreciate it. In looking in the downtown area, I'm guessing a parking garage at Arizona Center since they have power to their old spaces from when the GM EV-1 was driving around Phoenix... and it's also APS's offices.... and there's a lot of development there... and the AMC 24 Theatres are there (for now, supposedly being razed for high rise apartments as part of a future phase of redevelopment).

We shall see.... we shall see. I just don't like the idea of a SC being behind a literal 'pay wall'.

Any updates, information, guesses, rumors, myths, and especially humor is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Ben Bethel
2016 Tesla Model S P90DL
"PHX FLG" License Plate

My speculation is it will be in the very SE corner of Phoenix, which is where the South Mountain Freeway will meet up with I-10. This location is halfway between the Casa Grand and Buckeye Superchargers, and also halfway between the Casa Grand and NW Phoenix SuperChargers.

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 5.45.21 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 8.50.07 PM.jpg

I was hoping for something in downtown Phoenix which would be awesome and there are a lot of power substations nearby which could accommodate the power feed... I also think it could be close to the Tempe service center as there are also a lot of substations in that area.

I'm extremely concerned over the Biltmore fashion Park supercharger... With that new gym going in they will have too many people visiting to work out and charging their car while they work out. If you haven't seen that gym yet it is bigger than a department store. If we can get Biltmore up to 150 to 250 kW charging at least people would be there for less time and more vehicles charge per day.

I'm extremely concerned over the Biltmore fashion Park supercharger... With that new gym going in they will have too many people visiting to work out and charging their car while they work out. If you haven't seen that gym yet it is bigger than a department store. If we can get Biltmore up to 150 to 250 kW charging at least people would be there for less time and more vehicles charge per day.

Agreed that they need to speed up AND expand Biltmore... There are cars waiting to charge there late Sunday afternoons.

That new building under construction is a gym? :eek:

Yes, it's a massive, massive gym.... in the Biltmore. There will be a lot of Tesla's... but if they're charging at 150-250kW and everyone's cars charge quickly with a $5/min overage charge then people will be having the fastest workouts ever... in fact, they may skip the workout and only hit the locker room, sauna, pool, hydro-spas. It's like Tinder but in real life. I really do look at that charging location as fairly useless nowadays.... I hope they upgrade it asap.

There's also an area near Jackson and 3rd Avenues downtown that's got a huge APS substation, it makes a lot of sense there....

I'm surprised Tesla doesn't have a parking model that's along the lines of "charge, then advanced summon to a non-charging spot... if a popular area with pay for parking, you move to a cheaper non-charging spot and are still charged. For example: if I go to see a movie or concert or DJ, I could park in a $10 parking lot that has a supercharger... then the car moves to the charger, charges, then back to its parking spot..... doh! forgot that someone needs to get that charging cable connected and disconnected..... they were working on a robot arm to do this from older videos right - or more like a snake?