Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Guilderland, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thruway Exit 45 would be a perfect location for a SuperCharger. Half way between Buffalo and Syracuse with a mall and shopping center just off the exit on I-490, NY 96. Binghamton I-81 Exit 5 has the best connections to all the interstates. It would be a nice alternative to have SuperChargers along I-86 west. With SuperChargers in Binghamton and Rochester the Finger Lakes touring becomes possible.

Kind of cuts it close for winter driving. I think Syracuse and Buffalo works better and hits many more types of trips.

Have you guys ever given thought to these?

hydraulic_car_mover_LRG.jpg

car dolly jacks

They would work nicely to quickly de- "ICE" any paved EV spot.

Wow. So many major hills in my upstate NY journey. 400Wh/mile for large chunks of it when I'm normally 310 Wh/mile. Good thing i charged to 230 miles before i left Northern Jersey.

The Albany supercharger was the reason i could even make my trip up to Syracuse. A location in Binghamton woukd have been even better.

Are there any experiences traveling on I87 in Model S 85 to/from Colonie Supercharger and Montreal that people can share? It appears to be a possible on evtripper but with crossing the border, etc. I thought I would ask here.

I did apply for the charging network cards used in Montreal at public stations to leave fully charged from that end. ( http://www.lecircuitelectrique.com/index.en.html http://www.reseauver.com/index.en.html)

Thanks!

Any experiences traveling to/from downtown Montreal to the Colonie Center NY supercharger in a Model S 85 that drivers can share? The distance of 217 miles appears to be possible but I was looking for actual experience as well as thoughts. Thank you.

Same problem going to Toronto... nothing between Colonie and Toronto other than home-based HPWCs. A SC between Toronto and Colonie would be great, and I see it's on the "future" map, but who knows when that will be, or where?

Any experiences traveling to/from downtown Montreal to the Colonie Center NY supercharger in a Model S 85 that drivers can share? The distance of 217 miles appears to be possible but I was looking for actual experience as well as thoughts. Thank you.

This time of year, that trip should not be a problem at all in an S85. The Northway is relatively flat, so you should get nominal EPA rated range at 65mph—that is, the battery range indicator below the speedometer should be fairly accurate at 65mph. I would still recommend doing a range charge though, just to be sure. If you maintain 65mph, you should have 45 miles left when you arrive in Albany. You can periodically check to see if the 45 mile buffer is increasing or decreasing by subtracting the miles-to-destination on the Nav from the miles left in the battery. If the buffer is increasing, you could try increasing your speed to 70.

This time of year, that trip should not be a problem at all in an S85. The Northway is relatively flat, so you should get nominal EPA rated range at 65mph—that is, the battery range indicator below the speedometer should be fairly accurate at 65mph. I would still recommend doing a range charge though, just to be sure. If you maintain 65mph, you should have 45 miles left when you arrive in Albany. You can periodically check to see if the 45 mile buffer is increasing or decreasing by subtracting the miles-to-destination on the Nav from the miles left in the battery. If the buffer is increasing, you could try increasing your speed to 70.

Thanks for this suggestion. I wanted to quickly follow up and let you know that I made it to montreal this morning. In short, range charge, range mode, no climate control, outside temperatures of 46-61F and max power on speed of 62 mph allowed me to arrive to Place Marie Ville parking lot with 28 miles of rated range. I used the technique of dropping to 60 mph on hills and using gravity on down hill.

Future Plattsburgh, Burlington and Quebec superchargers will be quite useful.

Tfinan, you left Albany with 265 miles and arrived downtown with 28 miles? What was your energy usage on average? I'm doing Montreal-NYC-Montreal this weekend so I'm curious. :)

zax123 - Yes, you've got it. I left Wolf Road Comfort Inn with 267 miles of rated range at 5:29 a.m. I supercharged the night before to 269 miles RR.

End 220.6 miles, total energy 67.5k Wh, avg energy 306 Wh/mi. 28 Rated Miles, Est. 5 mph headwind. Speed of 62 mph in US, 58 mph in Canada.

I limited energy to 40kW on up hills. I had regen set to low and used accelerator "feathering" to coast down hills and pick up speed with energy near zero. Near Elizabethtown NY be sure to be in the truck lanes going up hill. I had to go 52 mph to get the level that low.

We did one off highway food stop (< 2 miles) and one on highway rest stop. 12 wait minutes at border. No traffic delays into Montreal. Cargo was one adult, one 10 year old child, 2 bicycles (inside vehicle). I have 19 inch Michelins inflated to 45 psi.

For destination charging, there are two public charging networks where a $10 card is needed. (http://www.reseauver.com/index.en.html need to work with customer service for US address. Most available and best access in public parking.$1/hr http://www.lecircuitelectrique.com/index.en.html There other network is only $2.50 a session but seemed to be in more limited access locations(i.e. not 24/7 access, office towers that may be restricted, etc) . There is also Tesla service center in Laval (10 miles west of downtown Montreal) if you bring your UMC, contact them for details ([email protected]).

For the return trip from Place Marie Ville to Albany Supercharger yesterday: End 218.4 miles, total energy 66.3k Wh, avg energy 304 Wh/mi. 34 Rated Miles. Est. 5 mph headwind.

Started with 266 mi RR. 60 mph speed in Canada, 62 mph in US. Increased speed to 65 mph once I87 changed to 3 lanes approaching Albany to play nice with traffic. Used Range mode but had climate control on 72 degree (range mode). Exterior Temperature was 72-80F.

I have a document with a list of selected emergency en route charging options that I can share later.

Last edited:
zax123 - Yes, you've got it. I left Wolf Road Comfort Inn with 267 miles of rated range at 5:29 a.m. I supercharged the night before to 269 miles RR.

End 220.6 miles, total energy 67.5k Wh, avg energy 306 Wh/mi. Est. 5 mph headwind. Speed of 62 mph in US, 58 mph in Canada.

I limited energy to 40kW on up hills. I had regen set to low and used accelerator to coast down hills and pick up speed. Near Elizabethtown NY be sure to be in the truck lanes going up hill. I had to go 52 mph to get the level that low.

We did one off highway food stop (< 2 miles) and one on highway rest stop. 12 wait minutes at border. No traffic delays into Montreal. Cargo was one adult, one 10 year old child, 2 bicycles (inside vehicle). I have 19 inch Michelins inflated to 45 psi.

For destination charging, there are two public charging networks where a $10 card is needed. (http://www.reseauver.com/index.en.html need to work with customer service for US address. Most available and best access in public parking.$1/hr http://www.lecircuitelectrique.com/index.en.html There other network is only $2.50 a session but seemed to be in more limited access locations(i.e. not 24/7 access, office towers that may be restricted, etc) . There is also Tesla service center in Laval (10 miles west of downtown Montreal) if you bring your UMC, contact them for details ([email protected]).

For the return trip from Place Marie Ville to Albany Supercharger yesterday: End 218.4 miles, total energy 66.3k Wh, avg energy 304 Wh/mi. Est. 5 mph headwind.

Started with 266 mi RR. 60 mph speed in Canada, 62 mph in US. Increased speed to 65 mph once I87 changed to 3 lanes approaching Albany to play nice with traffic. Used Range mode but had climate control on 72 degree (range mode). Exterior Temperature was 72-80F.

I have a document with a list of selected emergency en route charging options that I can share later.

Wow, thanks for all that @tfinan.

I'm actually leaving FROM Montreal (I live here). So charging in Montreal is easy (at home). It's when I get to NYC that I'm not sure where I'll charge. I'm going to try to search for hotels that have charging, that would be the easiest.

I'm still surprised at your energy usage given that you were going only 60-65mph...

Wow, thanks for all that @tfinan.

I'm actually leaving FROM Montreal (I live here). So charging in Montreal is easy (at home). It's when I get to NYC that I'm not sure where I'll charge. I'm going to try to search for hotels that have charging, that would be the easiest.

I'm still surprised at your energy usage given that you were going only 60-65mph...

My aunt lives in a building by 58th and 9th which has a charger in the parking garage.
You can even self-park there!

It's a little out of your way, but if you want to arrive in the city with full gusto, consider making a detour to one of the Greenwich Superchargers on your way into town. Depending how much driving you are going to do in NYC, you could then probably get away with a simple 120 Volt outlet as a charge source; remember that a 120 will give you 75 rated miles per day of charging.