Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger plug gets stuck in car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at a supercharger yesterday, and when I went back to my car I encountered a guy with a model 3 who had the supercharger plug stuck in his car. He had been charging awhile, and must have been full because he said he was getting charged idle fees. The indicator light on his car next to the plug was red. Said he tried rebooting, but nothing seemed to work. He was on hold with Tesla service, and had been waiting 55 minutes.
Has this happened to anyone else? What happened in your case? Is there anything you can do to fix this if it happens to you?

This happened to me twice in my 2022 model MS last month. The first time was at a Tesla supercharger and the second time was at Electrify America using a CCS adapter. In the first incident I called Tesla service and they told me how to find the plug in the trunk to release the cable. The release was hard to find and hard to operate, but it did work. I later put a shower ring around it and used that when I had the second failure. In each case the charger port was not blue or green, but a solid red.

Another trick is to push IN the connector, press the release button, wait 1/2 second for the locking pawl to retract, and then pull out. Some people unlock and pull at the same time which prevents the pawl from retracting. If it works, much easier than going for the mechanical release in the trunk. Old Model S cars do not have a manual locking retraction feature.