Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

idle fee on malfunctioned charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my first idle fee but it was due to charger prematurely stopped charging. It charge from 24 to 28% then stopped, and I couldn't come back to the car in time. After I got back to the car, it started charging right after I disconnected and reconnected plug. The email said first idle fee is waived, but I feel I shouldn't be charged a fee. Anyone had this happen?

Waiving the first idle fee isn't an invitation to let the car sit once for free, it's to give someone who wasn't aware of the fee or wasn't used to the timing of supercharging a chance to learn without incurring a charge. The OP now knows about idle fees, so shouldn't need a break in the future.

If he had been charged, then I'd be suggesting he complain and get refunded. Complaining that he should get his "freebie" back would be undignified, even if they'd listen.

Reactions: ngng
Yes my "first idle fee waived" has been wasted. The question I had was why it stopped 5 minutes after it charging started. To prevent this from happening again, it seems like I need to stay within 5 minutes of the car any time I supercharge. I am also surprised that I couldn't even find a way to contact Tesla about this as the online chat / phone support is for ordering and question on their products only.

A Tesla service center once let my car idle at their SuperCharger and wasted my free idle waiver. They could not restore it. That was 5 years ago and I haven't paid a fee because I pay attention the warnings about the car almost being done. Don't fret it, just keep an eye on the messages.