Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Robstown, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! Tesla is really saturating the routes into the Brownsville area - presumably for SpaceX launches. Besides this one in Robstown on I-69E, new and existing SCs include:
  • Existing near I-69E in Brownsville
  • Permitted in Brownsville to supplement the existing one (closest to SpaceX)
  • Existing I-2 near I-69E at Harlingen
  • Construction I-2 at Mercedes
  • Existing I-2 at McAllen
  • Permitted expansion of the McAllen site
  • Permitted I-69E at Raymondville
  • Permitted I-69C at Falfurrias
  • Existing I-69E at Kingsville
  • Permitted I-69E - near the already existing one in Kingsville.
  • Permitted US 77 (future I-69E) at Refugio
  • Permitted I-37 Mathis
  • Existing I-37 junction with US 281 (future I 69C) in Three Rivers
  • Construction I-37 Pleasanton
Yes, I know there is a two stall Urban SC on South Padre Island, a V3 in Corpus Christi and a planned one for Kenedy, but those are not on a direct route.

Robstown, TX

Host Type: Restaurant
Host: Whataburger
Along Primary Interstates: I-69E
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-77
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: TX-44

I-69E

From: Kingsville - E Corral Ave, TX - 22.5 miles (Permit)
To: Refugio, TX - 45.3 miles (Permit)
Diversion: 0 miles
To: End (US-59 Victoria, TX) - 80.3 miles

US-77

From: Kingsville - E Corral Ave, TX - 22.5 miles (Permit)
To: Refugio, TX - 45.3 miles (Permit)
Diversion: 0 miles
To: Giddings, TX (v2) - 191.3 miles

In a small Texas town, in the corner of the parking lot of a dead mall, there is a Whataburger, which will apparently have an 8-stall Supercharger.

On I-69E/US-77.

Reactions: CarlS
Not just any Whataburger, but a brand new one. This section of US 77 south of Corpus Christi/Five Points is a great north/south location. Also branded as Interstate 69 East on this section since it has designated on/off ramps and access roads.

The old Outlets at Corpus Christi Bay did not survive Covid but it was a nice place before. Plenty of room for expansion - maybe it could be a showplace Supercharger with solar panels, 50s theme diner! Why should California have all the fun?

IMG_2245.JPG

It can take as little as two weeks with the pre-fab unit, and sometimes months. A year is unusual, but not unheard of.

Often a month maybe two to actually install the supercharger. But then power connection is a real wildcard. There can be serious delays with the power company providing the transformer and even once installed there can be a long delay for the power to be turned on.

However we can also wait months for the project to actually start.

It can take as little as two weeks with the pre-fab unit, and sometimes months. A year is unusual, but not unheard of.

Often a month maybe two to actually install the supercharger. But then power connection is a real wildcard. There can be serious delays with the power company providing the transformer and even once installed there can be a long delay for the power to be turned on.

However we can also wait months for the project to actually start.
I am thinking that maybe they got the year wrong on the permit application. At least I hope. Once this location is live it will probably cut my charging stops down to 1 from the 2 that I make at Three Rivers and Kingsville.

I was in the area and stopped by to check. The Whataburger is quite busy so I guess everybody knows about it now. I did not see any signs of Tesla site construction, although I did see a lot of surveyor flags on the south side of the property. But it would be pretty crowded in there -- hopefully these get located in one of the adjacent parking lots.

The vacant outlet mall next door is very quiet and sad.