Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Venice, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He said there’s only been one real problem and it was a Tesla owner yelling (cursing) at the other cars/owners “icing” (not really icing) the spots. We were told the guy was asked to leave and the restaurant asked that he be banned from that charger.
It made me realize that I need to pay attention to ALL the signs posted… not just the pretty T.
Not just that, but it also doesn't make sense to make a huge stink about people "ICEing" a stall, even one marked as "Tesla charging only" if the site is mostly empty. Yes, technically it's ICEing, and the site could fill up quickly, but the optics aren't great when you have what would appear to the ICE driver an entitled Tesla owner complaining that they parked in one of "their" exclusive spots when they clearly aren't in use. Chances are this will wind up having the opposite of the intended effect anyway.

Reactions: BrownMS
Not just that, but it also doesn't make sense to make a huge stink about people "ICEing" a stall, even one marked as "Tesla charging only" if the site is mostly empty. Yes, technically it's ICEing, and the site could fill up quickly, but the optics aren't great when you have what would appear to the ICE driver an entitled Tesla owner complaining that they parked in one of "their" exclusive spots when they clearly aren't in use. Chances are this will wind up having the opposite of the intended effect anyway.
FPL just left after replacing the transformer. Chargers remain offline.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
FPL wouldn't be capable of replacing one of these proprietary megawatt cabinet Transformers. What's your source of information? Or are you talking about the street line Transformer?
The street transformer provided by the utility. The big green piece of electrical equipment. I arrived just as they were departing with the old one on the truck. If I'd arrived 30 seconds sooner, I would have gotten a photo.

If you like these chargers being at Brewburgers and available to us for charging please eat or at least have a drink there. Brewburgers pays $1.00 to Tesla for each car that charges here.

So if you are hungry or thirsty please eat up or drink while there to make it worth Brewburger’s. On top of that I read the burgers are goo 😀

I’ve read complaints elsewhere about the chargers at this site being slow. Has that been resolved?
Charging speed will depend on how full the site is, how full your battery is, whether or not your battery is preconditioned, and what type of car you have. Some people don’t understand these things and post complaints about charging speed based on unreasonable or uninformed expectations. I charged here on April 30th and got full speed.

Last edited:
I’ve read complaints elsewhere about the chargers at this site being slow. Has that been resolved?
Put that in the Ron Rumor category. It's not slower than any other charger version 3. Keep in mind if your battery doesn't have enough time to precondition you'll never see the 250 KW charging rate. Even sometimes when it does precondition it seems to peak out around 220-:230 kW at least on our older battery packs. Even though there is no current sharing per se I have rarely seen a full stall of 8 cars on version 3 actually hit 250.

Regarding power sharing, V3s do, in fact, share power - just not in the way that V2s do. Most 8-stall V3 sites have either a 500 kVA or a 750 kVA transformer. If it's 500 kVA, 500/8=62.5 kW per car. Since V3 cabinets can do 350 kVA (each) from the grid, if the site is on a 750 kVA, the limitation is the cabinets, which works out to 700/8=87.5 kW per car. These limits get increased if the site has solar and/or battery storage due to V3's ability to share power on a DC power bus.

I've been to a few full-ish sites in Florida where I watched my charging power ramp up and down as people plugged in and unplugged. In most cases, the throttling is minimal since it's rare for a bunch of empty cars to arrive simultaneously, but there will be times where everything is limited due to the site hitting the transformer limit.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Da_Gman and RTPEV
Regarding power sharing, V3s do, in fact, share power. Most 8-stall V3 sites have either a 500 kVA or a 750 kVA transformer. If it's 500 kVA, 500/8=62.5 kW per car. Since V3 cabinets can do 350 kVA (each) from the grid, if the site is on a 750 kVA, the limitation is the cabinets, which works out to 700/8=87.5 kW per car. These limits get increased if the site has solar and/or battery storage due to V3's ability to share power on a DC power bus.

I've been to a few full-ish sites in Florida where I watched my charging power ramp up and down as people plugged in and unplugged. In most cases, the throttling is minimal since it's rare for a bunch of empty cars to arrive simultaneously, but there will be times where everything is limited due to the site hitting the transformer limit.
There is no way that version 3 is limited to 62 kilowatts Max per car. My understanding is that these are MW cabinets split cross four charging stalls. I'm quite sure it's not 500 kilowatts per four charging stalls. But like bandwidth on computer buses these are theoretical maximums essentially asymptotes. So with four cars it's not surprising that we don't see exactly 250 KW across all four vehicles. Plus the system is very anxious to down-regulate below 250 if the battery is too hot, too cold, or the charging system detects any other suboptimal parameters. But some of what you're presenting is clearly at odds with Tesla's own Publications. Introducing V3 Supercharging

Last edited:
There is no way that version 3 is limited to 62 kilowatts Max per car. My understanding is that these are MW cabinets split cross four charging stalls. I'm quite sure it's not 500 kilowatts per four charging stalls. But like bandwidth on computer buses these are maximums. So with four cars it's not surprising that we don't see 250 KW across all four vehicles. Redirect NoticeIntroducing V3 Supercharging

The data plates are very clear. 350 kVA AC input per cabinet and 575 kVA DC input per cabinet (DC bus to share power between cabinets and also to support solar and/or battery storage).

v3-supercharger-jpeg.682416

If you have 8 stalls at a site that's fed by a 500 kVA transformer with no solar nor battery, how do the charging posts supply more than 500 kW combined?

To supply four vehicles with 250 kW simultaneously, you either need three cabinets (12 stall site in US, 9 stalls in some other countries) on a 1000 kVA transformer OR a two power cabinets with enough solar and/or battery storage to make up for where the AC input falls short.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTPEV
The data plates are very clear. 350 kVA AC input per cabinet and 575 kVA DC input per cabinet (DC bus to share power between cabinets and also to support solar and/or battery storage).

v3-supercharger-jpeg.682416

If you have 8 stalls at a site that's fed by a 500 kVA transformer with no solar nor battery, how do the charging posts supply more than 500 kW combined?

To supply four vehicles with 250 kW simultaneously, you either need three cabinets (12 stall site in US, 9 stalls in some other countries) on a 1000 kVA transformer OR a two power cabinets with enough solar and/or battery storage to make up for where the AC input falls short.
Believe what you like. The right side of your own graphic data says that the output is 250 KW. I've seen three cars all charging simultaneously side-by-side all over two hundred 30 kilowatts. According to your information that would be impossible. Like I said you're posting stuff that contradicts what Tesla has published. But you can believe it over their Publications. Your privilege. I'd considerate it the triumph of doctrine over experience and observation. But like I said Different Strokes for different folks

Last edited:
Believe what you like.
Right back at you.

The right side of your own graphic data says that the output is 250 KW.
Correct. The maximum output is 250 kW per post. That doesn't mean that it can provide 250 kW to all posts simultaneously - there are other limitations, as I described above.

I've seen three cars all charging simultaneously side-by-side all over two hundred 30 kilowatts.
Depending on the transformer size, the number of power cabinets and the number of cars charging, it's certainly possible for several cars to all be charging at maximum power, as I described above. Three cars charging at 230 kW is 690 kW, which is no problem for an 8-stall site that's on a 750 kVA transformer. That would not be possible on a 500 kVA transformer, and the three cars would have to share that available power.

According to your information that would be impossible.
Read again what I wrote.

Like I said you're posting stuff that contradicts what Tesla has published.
I just posted a picture of the data plate for a V3 Supercharger and described how they work. I'm not sure what publications you're talking about that describe different operational behavior - please share.

But you can believe it over their Publications. Your privilege. I'd considerate it the triumph of doctrine over experience and observation. But like I said Different Strokes for different folks
Again, please share whatever information you're referencing.

Reactions: RTPEV