Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers open to NACS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
This is probably a dumb question, but I'd rather ask it than just ass-u-me and end up getting stuck somewhere

I'm on a road trip at the moment and planning my journey back. I pulled up the "Find Us" page to look for Superchargers and found one in a useful location, but they call it "Superchargers open to NACS". My understanding is that when Tesla opened up their network, they started calling the connector NACS to differentiate it from CCS (and possibly it's different from the "original" Tesla connector?)

The text is vague (certainly not written by a lawyer!) "NACS Adapter Required to Charge at this Supercharger. This Supercharger is Open to Tesla and NACS Enabled Vehicles with CCS Compatibility." because what does the "and" apply to? (that's what a career in IT will do to you)

I can probably just let the car assign the route and it should hopefully be smart enough to know whether it can stop there, but I figured I'd ask here anyway

TIA

My guess is that there are two types of Supercharger
- the 'original' ones that only a Tesla can use
- newer NACS ones that (a Tesla can use without even knowing they are not 'original') AND that (a CCS equipped vehicle can use with the NACS/CCS adapter)

There's actually many types of Superchargers, but all Tesla vehicles in North America can use all Tesla Superchargers in North America (unless they have physical restrictions, like a gate). Your vehicle shouldn't automatically route you to a Supercharger that you can't use. Though it may be broken in some way that hasn't been detected :D

Any additional verbiage is for non-Tesla vehicles.

This is probably a dumb question, but I'd rather ask it than just ass-u-me and end up getting stuck somewhere

I'm on a road trip at the moment and planning my journey back. I pulled up the "Find Us" page to look for Superchargers and found one in a useful location, but they call it "Superchargers open to NACS". My understanding is that when Tesla opened up their network, they started calling the connector NACS to differentiate it from CCS (and possibly it's different from the "original" Tesla connector?)

The text is vague (certainly not written by a lawyer!) "NACS Adapter Required to Charge at this Supercharger. This Supercharger is Open to Tesla and NACS Enabled Vehicles with CCS Compatibility." because what does the "and" apply to? (that's what a career in IT will do to you)

I can probably just let the car assign the route and it should hopefully be smart enough to know whether it can stop there, but I figured I'd ask here anyway

TIA

- newer NACS ones that (a Tesla can use without even knowing they are not 'original') AND that (a CCS equipped vehicle can use with the NACS/CCS adapter)

"Original" isn't really the correct term.

NACS is essentially CCS with a Tesla plug.

The ones open to NACS are
(1) NACS-capable (some additional hardware). Tesla has only added this to V3 and V4, not any V2.
(2) Opened up to other vehicles with NACS support and a manufacturer agreement with Tesla.

Reactions: Rocky_H

TIA

Not a dumb question at all. There are more than 2 types of Superchargers. We are in a transition period where some Superchargers are being upgraded to more capabilities in-situ.

The oldest Superchargers are V2 - 120 and 150 kW Tesla only. Thick cables with a silver ring next to the handle. In pairs, 1A / 1B; Shared powered between the 2 stalls.
Next came the V2 - Urban 72 kW still Tesla only. No shared power.
Then came V3 - 250 kW Superchargers. Thinner cables with a black ring next to the handle. In groups of 4, 1A / 1B / 1C / 1D; No shared power.

The V3s come in six different flavors.
V3 - Tesla only
V3 plus NACS - look exactly the same but can speak the CCS protocol to a Ford or Rivian with an adapter, or a 2025 or newer EV with a native J3400 charge port. Other manufacturers will be added to the NACS ecosystem in the future.
V3 plus Magic Dock - Can charge any EV regardless of brand by downloading Tesla app on phone and creating account. They have a built-in adapter in the charging post.

There are also some V3.5 - 250 kW Superchargers with taller posts and longer cables. Those also fall in the same flavors as above, V3.5, V3.5 plus NACS or V3.5 plus Magic Dock.

(The list above for V3 and V3.5 are in order of increasing capabilities. Any can charge a Tesla; the ones that have NACS add compatibility with Ford and Rivian; and the ones with Magic Dock add compatibility to any CCS EV.)

There are also sites with mixed capabilities, but none of those sites have NACS or Magic Dock. They are Tesla only, and started out as V2 or Urban, then later had V3 stalls added.

If you are driving a Tesla, then you don’t need to concern yourself with the minutiae. You will be able to charge at all Tesla Superchargers and your car will automatically add them as needed along your navigation route.

But to answer your question, the ones “open to NACS” are for certain non-Teslas with a NACS to CCS adapter and (eventually) native NACS ports. Currently only Ford and Rivian are enabled to have access.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Acps110
Not a dumb question at all. There are more than 2 types of Superchargers. We are in a transition period where some Superchargers are being upgraded to more capabilities in-situ.

The oldest Superchargers are V2 - 120 and 150 kW Tesla only. Thick cables with a silver ring next to the handle. In pairs, 1A / 1B; Shared powered between the 2 stalls.
Next came the V2 - Urban 72 kW still Tesla only. No shared power.
Then came V3 - 250 kW Superchargers. Thinner cables with a black ring next to the handle. In groups of 4, 1A / 1B / 1C / 1D; No shared power.

The V3s come in six different flavors.
V3 - Tesla only
V3 plus NACS - look exactly the same but can speak the CCS protocol to a Ford or Rivian with an adapter, or a 2025 or newer EV with a native J3400 charge port. Other manufacturers will be added to the NACS ecosystem in the future.
V3 plus Magic Dock - Can charge any EV regardless of brand by downloading Tesla app on phone and creating account. They have a built-in adapter in the charging post.

There are also some V3.5 - 250 kW Superchargers with taller posts and longer cables. Those also fall in the same flavors as above, V3.5, V3.5 plus NACS or V3.5 plus Magic Dock.

(The list above for V3 and V3.5 are in order of increasing capabilities. Any can charge a Tesla; the ones that have NACS add compatibility with Ford and Rivian; and the ones with Magic Dock add compatibility to any CCS EV.)

There are also sites with mixed capabilities, but none of those sites have NACS or Magic Dock. They are Tesla only, and started out as V2 or Urban, then later had V3 stalls added.
I would not use V3.5 terminology given that doesn't officially exist. Rather, it uses V4 stalls with V3 cabinets, so it's a hybrid between the two. There isn't really a V3.5 stall.

V4 is far more confusing, because every Supercharger with taller posts still only puts out a maximum of 250 kW.
I don't agree. The posts themselves are V4 posts, that's what people will see. You can call them 250kW V4 if you want, but there isn't such a thing as V3.5 posts or cabinets.

To make the point even more clear, Tesla even called them "V4 Supercharger Post" in plans themselves:
screenshot-2023-04-18-at-8-27-16-pm-png.929748

Last edited:
ok, thanks to everyone who replied. I feel a lot more comfortable now - exactly how comfortable I'll feel once I make it back to Dallas from Pittsburgh remains to be seen - lol ... but I managed on the way up, so I can certainly do it again (it IS a fairly boring drive though)

In addition to the other replies, a couple of small points.

First, a minor detail. None of the Superchargers support CHAdeMO (Nissan Leaf). They support CCS1 as a protocol, and CCS or NACS connectors. However, you can get a CHAdeMO-to-NACS adapter to let a Tesla charge (slowly) from a CHAdeMO charger.

Of course all modern Teslas can use any of the North American Superchargers.
Any CCS-ported car should be able to use any V4 Supercharger
Ford and Rivian, with their adapters, can use SOME of the V3 Superchargers. (I think basically not the busy ones?)
No non-Telsa can use the V2 Superchargers.

In case you get a Cybertruck (800 volt architecture), you currently still max out at 250Kwh from a Supercharger, but I've seen videos of a CT pulling 350Kwh from an Electrify America 350kwh charger.

ok, thanks to everyone who replied. I feel a lot more comfortable now - exactly how comfortable I'll feel once I make it back to Dallas from Pittsburgh remains to be seen - lol ... but I managed on the way up, so I can certainly do it again (it IS a fairly boring drive though)
Stay in Pittsburgh. Too hot here, and then there's the "football" team. Re-think your return!
(Go MAVS!)