Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging at Lease End

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've spoken with 2 people at Tesla now who have given me an answer that is different that what I expect is true.
My XP90D lease is ending in March 2019, and I currently have free unlimited supercharging. I plan to return the car to Tesla at lease end and I plan to lease a new Model X to replace it.

When I log into my Tesla account, I can't find the blurb that used to be there about Supercharging.

Based on everything I've read here, I was expecting that when I lease the new car, nothing from the current car's free supercharging would follow me to the new car. Both support people I've spoken with at Tesla have told me that it would follow me to the new car, which was surprising.

I'm looking to confirm that my understanding is correct, and find out what department I should be calling to get a definitive answer on this.

Given Tesla's proclivity to change the Supercharging program on whim, I would get the one guy that says that you will have supercharging to put it in writing in blood, preferable with Elon's signature below his. Otherwise I suspect you will get whatever new car purchase/lease Supercharging deal is in place at the time you buy/lease.

Just today they said you get a massive $100 toward Supercharging when you use a referral code. Oh wow, sign me up!

The blurb about my free supercharging is gone from my Model X page as well. Before it was removed however, it said that I had free supercharging on my current vehicle or any new vehicle I purchased before Jan 2017 (Guessing on the exact date, but it was definitely in the past).

You should be able to use your own referral code on your new purchase/lease, but I wouldn't expect to get anything more than the current referral offer. Free supercharging seems to "end" at the end of every quarter though, I won't be surprised if it returns in the future, especially with the tax credit phasing out.

• Helpful
Reactions: l4sythe
I've spoken with 2 people at Tesla now who have given me an answer that is different that what I expect is true.
My XP90D lease is ending in March 2019, and I currently have free unlimited supercharging. I plan to return the car to Tesla at lease end and I plan to lease a new Model X to replace it.

When I log into my Tesla account, I can't find the blurb that used to be there about Supercharging.

Based on everything I've read here, I was expecting that when I lease the new car, nothing from the current car's free supercharging would follow me to the new car. Both support people I've spoken with at Tesla have told me that it would follow me to the new car, which was surprising.

I'm looking to confirm that my understanding is correct, and find out what department I should be calling to get a definitive answer on this.
My question is just how many times did you use a Supercharger over the life of your lease? 25? 50? 100? Just wondering how much money we are really talking about.

No, supercharging follows the car, not the owner. That being said, what they are probably referring to is if you order by the 16th with a referral code then you'll free unlimited on the S,X,P3D.

Jeff
My understanding is that it only follows the car on older cars that purchased supercharging as an option. Once it started being contingent on a referral, it was tied to the car/owner combo. The residual price on a lease is negotiable with the lease holder. You'd be crazy to buy your car out at the end for the residual price, because of the way the tax credit is handled and moreso the way that a showroom adjustment is handled. Make an offer better than wholesale and see what they say.

OP if u want u can use my code and I will give u the 22s I have three sets already and don’t need ;)

• Love
Reactions: NikeWings
My understanding is that it only follows the car on older cars that purchased supercharging as an option. Once it started being contingent on a referral, it was tied to the car/owner combo. The residual price on a lease is negotiable with the lease holder. You'd be crazy to buy your car out at the end for the residual price, because of the way the tax credit is handled and moreso the way that a showroom adjustment is handled. Make an offer better than wholesale and see what they say.

Hm... Okay so then I'm just as confused as the OP... LOL

Jeff

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA