Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging in Chicago ll

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a trip to Chicago, first long range trip. Am not thrilled with charging options on the way. Normal, IL station sounds like a hassle and unreliable, according to checkins on Plugshare.

But am more concerned about SOC upon arrival in Chicago and the availability of superchargers downtown. It looks like most of the superchargers are in multistory lots, some charging as much as $20 to enter. This with be a weekend trip ur Model 3 will sit in a lot for about 48 hrs while Sentry Mode runs, increasing battery drain.

I’m aiming for 30% SOC when we get to Chicago. Need to get back out of town and to Normal (or Springfield).

Can you tell me your experience with superchargers in Chicago and offer tips? We will probably stay in the River North area.

I’ve run the trip in abetterrouteplanner, but it doesn’t take into account the car sitting in a lot.

IMO best option is to stay at a hotel with a EV charger .... fill ups while sleeping just like at home. Making a WAG that you are planning on being in mid-Chicago ..I see Park Hyatt Chicago, Loews and AC Hotel by Marriott

OK, did the trip this weekend.

First, the Normal, IL Superchargers rock. They are about 10 minutes off of Interstate 55, but are located in the middle of a nice shopping district. There’s a Starbuck’s, a Jimmy John’s, and a great restaurant called Medici. Gourmet popcorn store and bakery are on the same strip. Got 150Kw charging even when stalls were almost full. It’s also in a pay lot on 3rd floor so ICEing is less likely.

As to SOC, no problem. Arrived in Chicago with 52% and departed with 44%.

The South Canal street SC were a little trickier to find, but there are good choices for lunch and you can validate your parking stub at Pot Belly.

We aimed for arriving with 30% on greater SOC just because this was our first trip. I could see aiming for 15-20% on arrival, except if we’re staying in Chicago for a few days and don’t have in and out parking privileges.