Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Speed Changes Over Model Year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To set up the story, I own 2 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD. One is a 2019 and one is a 2022. I am aware that the battery sizes are a little different, so I want to first start off by saying I fully understand if the battery is larger is will take a tad longer to charge. Also, I use the Tesla Route planner for my journeys so whatever/whenever the car dictates that it wants to precondition, I leave it up to "the powers that be" lol. However...

I purchased the 2022 back in July of this year with only 6k miles on it. It was a steal. Driving it back home to Upstate NY from Atlanta, GA (a journey I have made several times this year in my 2019 M3 due to work) I am very familiar with the charging times whether I am at a V3 vs V2, SOC, Temp and all that jazz having made the trip several times, I initially "felt" like it was taking a little longer than normal when charging. I brushed this off due to the fact that 1.) It has a bigger battery and 2.) maybe it is just my imagination.

It wasn't until my recent trip to Montreal from ROC with BOTH cars, did I actually witness this to be a fact. Leaving my house, both cars charged to 100%, I noticed that 1.) 2019 preconditioned more on the trip than the 2022 did. 2.) This is the biggest thing, the charging curve is very different between both cars. My 2019 with almost 100k miles on it, will charge at 250kW and hold that peak charging rate longer than my 2022. At 50% SOC, my 2019 will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 147-150kW where my 2022 will be 100-119kW at the same SOC on a V3 supercharger. I was able to recreate this multiple times as well.

An interesting fact that may/may not have no relevance to my question but the AC works wayyyy better in the 2019 than the 2022. I understand the 22 has a heat-pump so it works different however, the 2019 can cool down to 68 from 100F in almost half the time that the 2022 can. I am getting no errors and have checked the service menu for any notifications and nothing shows up.

Now, let me fully admit that I could be the idiot here and this very well might be common knowledge, but do pre heatpump cars charge faster than cars with a heatpump? Does what I am explaining seem like normal behavior? Wanted to ask here before I go through the hassle of reaching out to a SC.

I would agree, but it doesn't really explain any of the charging differences. My understanding is that preconditioning the battery doesn't use the HVAC at all.
It actually does. This is taken directly from Tesla’s website under “Range Tips”

Preconditioning will heat the battery and allow the heat pump system to use that heat in the battery to heat the cabin and battery when driving.

Now, they specifically call out cars with heat pumps. I think it’s possible to hypothesize that cars without heat pumps may take longer to precondition as they just precondition only my running the motors inefficiently to generate waste heat. This theory would explain why my 2019 preconditions more often and longer bc it only has one method of preconditioning. Just kinda my thought process but could totally be way off.

It actually does. This is taken directly from Tesla’s website under “Range Tips”

Preconditioning will heat the battery and allow the heat pump system to use that heat in the battery to heat the cabin and battery when driving.

Now, they specifically call out cars with heat pumps. I think it’s possible to hypothesize that cars without heat pumps may take longer to precondition as they just precondition only my running the motors inefficiently to generate waste heat. This theory would explain why my 2019 preconditions more often and longer bc it only has one method of preconditioning. Just kinda my thought process but could totally be way off.
You may be right, although the quoted sentence doesn't make any sense. How can it use "heat in the battery" to "heat the ... battery"?