Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Post 1/15/2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that free supercharging ended on 1/15/2017. Then after that 400 kWh/year (~1000 miles) was given for free. A few questions on that:

1. Was a referral code needed to get the 1000 miles?
2. Does that still apply today? or when did that stop or change? There have been so many changes to the supercharging/referral program in the past couple of years it's hard to keep track.
3. Does anyone have a timeline of the changes?

BTW I'm asking because I'm in the market for a 2017-2018 Model S and I would like to know how much free supercharging comes with the car. Thanks!

...1. Was a referral code needed to get the 1000 miles?

Yes.

...2. Does that still apply today?...

Yes.

...or when did that stop or change?...

No.

...There have been so many changes to the supercharging/referral program in the past couple of years it's hard to keep track
3. Does anyone have a timeline of the changes?...

Someone needs to construct the timeline by reading:

Referral Program

...2017-2018 Model S...

That sounds like used.

I don't think you'll get any Free Supercharging from Tesla's used car site anymore.

If you get it from a private owner, it's doubtful that there's any Free 1000 mile Supercharging left.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Someone needs to construct the timeline by reading:

Referral Program

That sounds like used.

I don't think you'll get any Free Supercharging from Tesla's used car site anymore.

If you get it from a private owner, it's doubtful that there's any Free 1000 mile Supercharging left.

Yes it will be used and yes I heard about the recent news where Tesla is eliminating free supercharging on their used cars. But if I bought from a private owner or 3rd party dealer, wouldn't I still get the free 1000 miles of supercharging free per year? It is per year for the life of the vehicle right?

No.

Unused miles expire in 6 months.

I wish people start reading from the source and not depending on answers from non-Tesla sources (me).

I think we are talking about 2 different things. You are referring to the more recent incentive when using a referral code that started a earlier this year and at one point increase to 5000 miles. I'm talking about back in 2017 when then ended free supercharging, they gave away 1000 miles per year. I heard about it back then but didnt really pay attention to it since it didnt affect me. It started on 1/15/2017 after free supercharging ended. On the Tesla website it mentions it but is vague on which cars have this. It just says "Certain" vehicles. I guess it isn't all who purchased between 1/15/2017 - 11/2/2018? Anyone have this or know more about it?

Supercharging

My Tesla includes 400kWh of credits annually—how do those work?

Certain Model S and X vehicles ordered before November 2, 2018 include annual Supercharger credits of 400kWh, or roughly 1,000 miles. For usage above the complimentary annual credits, a small fee applies to Supercharge. Credits replenish automatically on the anniversary of your delivery or known ownership transfer. Unused credits do not rollover to the next year and you can view your vehicle’s Supercharger credit status by logging into your Tesla Account.

...I think we are talking about 2 different things...

You are right. Thanks for the correction.

The issue to be investigated is: Are annual 400kWh credits transferrable to a next owner.

We can assume they are but what counts is the documentation.

Current owners can enjoy the annual 400kWh credits but can they show a screen capture saying that subsequent owners will be able to do the same?

You are right. Thanks for the correction.

The issue to be investigated is: Are annual 400kWh credits transferrable to a next owner.

We can assume they are but what counts is the documentation.

Current owners can enjoy the annual 400kWh credits but can they show a screen capture saying that subsequent owners will be able to do the same?

I agree with you. Its hard to get this in writing either from Tesla or on their website regarding ability to transfer. Another question is how do I even know that the car i might be buying even comes with this since its just "certain" cars. Hopefully someone reading this has some experience dealing with this issue.